For our customer, EUMETSAT in Darmstadt, Germany, we are seeking for an experienced Mission Control Systems (MCS) System Engineer with Integration and Verification (I&V) experience. As a member of Mission Control Applications and Tools team at EUMETSAT, you will be responsible for integration and verification testing primarily of Mission Control Systems for Low-Earth Orbit (LEO) space missions, in routine operations and for future missions under development, corrective maintenance and system evolution. The position also includes integration of verification testing of the ground segment covering Flight Dynamics and Mission Planning Systems.
As an MCS System and I&V Engineer, your tasks will typically include:
• Maintenance and Evolution activities
• Preventive / Corrective maintenance: Investigation into anomalies and solutions, their documentation and classification, with suitable follow-up of the delivery of software updates;
• System Evolution: Analysis of user-driven requirements, generation of software requirements, design, implementation and verification/testing activities;
• System Upgrades: Analysis, planning and management of application, operating system and COTS upgrades and reconfigurations, taking into account any compatibility issues;
• Definition and management of technical documentation and procedures in support of these activities.
• Integration & Verification activities
• Integration of the various components of a MCS and integration of the MCS with the rest of Mission Control Applications and Tools (MCAT). This includes software deployment, software configuration, adjustment of interfaces, analysis and solution to problems.
• Generation and updates of test plan and test procedures for the MCAT. This covers functional verification testing, performance and non-regression testing (manual and automatic testing).
• Generation of test data that facilitate the software integration, verification and non-regression testing.
• Execution and coordination of software verification and non-regression testing campaigns. This activity includes running the test procedures on the target system, generation of test reports, analysis of results, troubleshooting of problems.
• Contribute to development of the verification infrastructure: development and/or procurement of scripts / tools to perform installation checks, non-regression, functional and performance testing. Analysis and implementation of mechanisms or tools allowing the automatic or semi-automatic verification testing of the application software.
• Maintaining the verification status of the software requirement baseline for the Mission Control Applications.
• Technical Management
• Documentation: generation and updates of technical documents.
• Routine reporting: preparation and production of routine reports as necessary.
• Meeting participation: participation to technical, progress and team meetings as needed and requested.
• User Help
• Ensure Operations Continuity: Provision of on-call and software services to operations.
o On occasions, provision of standby/call-out service to operations and service to critical operations out of normal hours);
o Software and technical service to the end-users of the application software by request;
• Attendance in meetings: Participation in technical, progress and team meetings, submission of reports as required;
• Additional services: Provision of services to other areas and programmes as required
• Training: Provision of training covering end-usage and maintenance aspects of the
Mission Control Applications
This is a full-time position located in Darmstadt, Germany, on-site at EUMETSAT premises, with the planned start in November 2020.
Applicants shall have a university degree (or equivalent) in a relevant engineering discipline, and shall be able demonstrate significant knowledge and experience in the area of integration and verification testing of Mission Control Applications.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
• Experience of at least 3 years in as follows:
o Definition, development and maintenance of space mission control software applications with focus on integration and verification of typical monitoring and control applications, covering aspects such as TM/TC, operations automation (schedule and procedure execution), operations preparation, etc.;
o Integration activities for space MCS based on the MICONYS software suite from ESA/ESOC. This includes software deployment, software configuration, adaptation of interfaces and troubleshooting of problems both at subsystem and system level.
o Verification testing activities of Space MCS based on MICONYS following formal software engineering processes. This includes requirement verification, generation of test plans and procedures, non-regression testing, generation of test data, generation of test tools, running the test procedures on the target system and generation of test reports and anomaly tracking;
o Software development and maintenance following formal software lifecycle processes covering production of requirements, design engineering artefacts and implementation reflecting corrective and evolution software maintenance activities, as well as definition of new applications;
• Good knowledge of MS Office applications and experience with formal Documentation Management systems;
• Experience in using configuration management and anomaly reporting and tracking tools.
The following experience would be an additional asset:
• Experience in integration of MCS with Flight Dynamics Systems;
• Experience in integration of Mission Control Systems with Mission Planning Systems;
• Experience in integration of MCS with Spacecraft/Ground Station Simulators;
• Experience in providing software support for MCS to flight control operations teams;
• Experience in designing and developing software components and applications using Object Oriented (OO) approach (including design patterns);
• Experience designing and developing software components and applications using C++, Java and scripting languages under UNIX/Linux platforms;
• Experience with formal software development environments such as Eclipse IDE.
• Experience developing interacting middleware components and applications using TCPIP and CORBA;
• Experience in using IBM Rational DOORS as system and software requirement management tool.
• Experience in software version control systems: SVN and/or Git.
• Experience with static and dynamic software analysis tools in support to testing and troubleshooting.
• Experience using tools for the automation of software testing
Due to the variety of the tasks and the scope of the systems to be supported, you should be able to quickly adapt to changes in assignments, manage tasks in an efficient way, and demonstrate a high degree of independence and autonomy. You must have excellent analytical skills, and be effective working within a small team, and have good presentation and communication skills.
You should be able to conduct all your activities in an orderly and disciplined manner, encouraging a friendly and collaborative working environment, demonstrating capabilities in applying principles, handling critical discourse, and be open to discussing and sharing solutions with others. Moreover you must be able to participate actively in technical meetings and/or formal reviews and activity assessments.
The working language is English and therefore you must be able to work effectively in this language.