Field(s) of expertise
About this job
We are recruiting a Ground Segment Engineer for Sapienza to work for Arctic Weather Satellite (AWS) mission in the Earth Observation Directorate on our Customers Site (ESTEC-ESA).
The Arctic Weather Satellite is conceived as the prototype satellite (approx. 120 kg) for a future constellation of small satellites providing all-weather microwave sounding of the global atmosphere with frequent revisit observations over the Arctic region. The AWS prototype is being implemented as a dedicated ESA Programme Element under the Earth Watch Programme, while any future constellation will be implemented in cooperation with EUMETSAT. The launch of AWS is planned in early 2024.
The successful candidate will be working in the System Support Division. He or she will report functionally to the AWS Project Manager, and will be responsible for all aspects of the AWS Ground Segment. The postholder will coordinate with the System Support Division to ensure usage of common standards and methods, and access to the necessary resources on system support issues, where appropriate.
- To support the definition and monitor the implementation of the Ground Segment: namely, the Ground Station (GS), Monitoring and Control Segment (MCS) and Payload Data Ground Segment (PDGS)
- To support the preparation of the Spacecraft in-orbit Operations up to and including the commissioning phase.
- To review and assess the proposed Ground Segment design, including identification of possible options, trade-offs and design / cost drivers and guaranteeing compliance with requirements
- To coordinate with the AWS team to ensure Ground Segment design and compatibility with the system/operations, including consistency of design, testing and performance with other elements of the system and future AWS constellation requirements
- To manage and monitor industrial activities for the Ground Segment
- To support AWS project reviews
- To review and verify the space-to-ground interface in cooperation with the AWS team
- To liaise with EUMETSAT with respect to future AWS constellation Ground Segment optimization
- To monitoring the definition of the Level-1 data processor and its implementation and the verification of its interfaces with PDGS
- To support Ground Segment validation activities, including Satellite System Validation Tests (SSVTs)
- To support the preparation of the Launch and Early Orbit Phase (LEOP), the Satellite In-Orbit Verification (SIOV) and Commissioning phases
- In carrying out these tasks, the postholder will coordinate closely with other AWS team members, and also with support from the Earth Observation Programmes and Technical and Quality Directorates
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Engineering
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience
- Previous experience in ground segment projects is highly desirable
- Experience in earth observation is highly desirable. Applicants should have good practical
- Analytical and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively both autonomously and in a team
- Good communication skills
- Be self-motivated and have a pro-active and results-oriented approach.
- Fluent in English; knowledge of another ESA member-state language is an asset
Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU
Please send your CV (in English) as soon as possible, but no later than 8th March 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on how we process the personal data in your application, please see the Sapienza Privacy Statement here.