Field(s) of expertise
Aerospace Engineering Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
Space Applications Services is a company based in the Brussels area (BE) that provides products and services for the space sector in many areas from Avionics, Robotics, Human Exploration, Science and Earth Observation.
The successful Intern will be tasked with the design of an evolution of the HOTDOCK standard interface into a smaller and more compact variation that can be accommodated on the LUVMI-X rover.
He/She will be based in our main office at Sint-Stevens-Woluwe (Brussels Area) and will join the Robotics, Mechanisms and Structures Team (Systems Department).
The Intern will mainly report to the RMS Team Lead and the LUVMI-X Project Manager.
Duties for technical internships typically include a selection of the following:
- Performing end-to-end CAD modelling and preparing models for manufacturing
- Performing first order mechanical analyses of designed parts/assemblies
- Supporting the end-to-end MAIT process for the designed components and assemblies (TRL 3 to 4)
- Supporting the generation of the technical documentation required all along the process.
Main Relevant Qualifications and Experience
Depending on the Thesis/Internship’s scope of work, a selection of the following is desirable:
- Enrolment in a Master degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with major in Mechanical Engineering
- Good understanding of and a hands-on experience (university projects or DIY) with one or more of the following:
- Space structures and mechanisms
- Integration of complex assemblies
- Mechanical simulation and analysis (structural, thermal, vibration)
- CAD tools (e.g. SolidWorks) and track record of complex mechanisms design
- Technical documents production and mechanical design 2D-3D based drawings
- Space engineering life cycle, qualification process/constraints, and relevant ECSS standards
- Excellent understanding of materials and tolerances
- Some experience with planetary rovers design or terra-mechanics is an asset.
The successful intern will have the following skills
- Strength to cope with schedules and deadlines
- A proactive approach, with initiative and ability to work independently
- Ability to:
- Adhere to strict standards of confidentiality
- Synthesise, summarise and draw conclusions
- Work in distributed international teams
- Excellent organisational and communication skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Passion for space domain and space technologies.
What Do We Offer?
- An experience in a growing company with Staff located in Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands
- Under certain conditions, a monthly lump sum allowance
- A professional, pleasant atmosphere with motivated and passionate Staff, where autonomy and initiatives are encouraged.
The successful candidate shall be eligible to do an internship in the European Union.
We are looking for someone to be available for a 6 months’ internship.