Sapienza is looking to recruit an experienced Optical Engineer to lead the design of our customers’ telescopes used in their different satellites. The optical engineer is to improve the image sensor and telescope systems, ensuring that our clients customers receive the best quality imagery possible. This includes the selection and testing of the image sensors and filters, and the design of the basic firmware to control them.
• Design and test of the optical system in the remote-sensing satellites.
• Selection of the different optical components and evaluation of their performance in different conditions.
• Design the required environmental control system to ensure the optimal sensor and telescope usage in space (temperature, radiation, etc).
• Research new technologies to be used in next-generation satellites.
• Simulate image products during the evaluation phase of the design.
• Help in the assembly and internal testing of the satellite’s optical system before launch. Including proposing improvements and automation to ease this process.
• Assist during the initial calibration and troubleshooting in the initial phase of the satellite after launch.
• Work closely with hardware engineers, image analysis engineers, and business team members in order to get design an optimal optical system.
• Help writing the firmware for the image sensors.
• Evaluate the final image product quality.
• Perform other duties as assigned or required.
• Willing to learn new fields of expertise and use that multi-modal knowledge to solve problems and issues.
• We don’t expect the candidate to know everything about satellites and software/hardware programming, but the willingness to learn those things is necessary.
• Aiming for total optimization of the whole satellite and not just its own component.
• Being a collaborative team worker.
• Being resourceful and supportive of others.
• Bachelor’s degree in physics or engineering fields.
• At least 3 years experience in usage of image sensors.
• Experience evaluating lenses, cameras or telescopes
• Deep knowledge of various types of image sensors, their advantages and disadvantages in different situations, and their technical requirements from the electrical and software point of view.
• Knowledge on how to validate the optical system performance.
• Image processing knowledge.
• Ability to understand requirements, specifications, circuit diagrams and other.
• Digital circuitry schematic design.
• Experience in FPGA and ASIC system design, including high VHDL or Verilog programming skills.
• Experience in low-level C or C++.
• Knowledge about remote sensing.