Field(s) of expertise
Software Engineering Aerospace Engineering
About this job
Open Cosmos is revolutionising the way space technology is used and is at the forefront of the emerging new space industry. Our mission is to make space accessible to anyone, to help solve the world’s biggest challenges. We do this by providing simple and affordable space missions, using nanosatellite technology, providing end to end space missions for customers around the world (private and institutional). We work with some of the biggest names in the industry, including the European Space Agency (ESA), but also with small and innovative high-tech companies, together developing the space technology and applications of the future.
Based at one of the world’s leading space campuses in Harwell, Oxfordshire, we are a young and ambitious team with the drive to define a greater future for this planet and the people living on it; therefore, when our minds come together to fulfill our mission to democratise the space we are happy to be part of something that is more than the best of each of ourselves.
You will be in charge of delivering Open Cosmos projects in time and within the project budget. This means preparing the proposal, capturing customer requirements and planning the project execution but also defining timelines, allocating resources, identifying risks and using Open Cosmos’ technologies and services to satisfy customer expectations. You will interface with customers and the mission stakeholders, Open Cosmos’ technical and commercial teams, partners and suppliers. You will contribute to the design of the mission alongside with the systems engineering and mission operations teams.
Excitement does not end here because you will oversee the delivery of the end-to-end space mission service, being involved in the selection and execution of building blocks, from launch service providers to ground segment infrastructure providers and all the regulatory landscape that frames the delivery of our services.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Understand the business needs of our customers to propose a solution that satisfy both the technical and the business aspects.
- Design space mission architectures and implementation plans.
- Understand design drivers, constraints and risks.
- Work directly with several engineering departments on parallel projects.
- Interact with customers as the main point of contact for a given project.
- Monitor progress, ensure deliveries meet time, cost and quality expectations in an efficient manner, not only internally, but also with partners and suppliers.
- Identify project risks, mitigate them, communicate to stakeholders and report to the management team, proactively.
- Foresee events and issues and find efficient solutions that are aligned with the company values and vision.
- Enable other teams’ members to do their work. Be a center of coordination to reduce meeting overheads and be the enabler of cross-department initiatives.
Skills, attitude and experience
- University degree in a technically relevant domain
- 3+ years of experience in management of technical projects involving software development and hardware products in a multidisciplinary environment with cross-functional interactions
- Strong capability to do multitasking
- Feel comfortable with uncertainty and a continuously changing environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Honesty, openness and self-awareness
- Lean / bootstrap mentality
- Take initiative and work in a self-driven manner
Nice to have
- Experience in the aerospace sector
- Experience in projects related to satellite constellations
- System engineering experience
- Master several project management frameworks
- Ability to deliver complex projects using Agile methodologies
You will enjoy
- Working with a team of people to build the future of a new space industry
- Working at one of the world’s leading space campuses
- 25 days holidays + 8 bank holidays
- Attractive Pension Scheme & Immediate enrollment
- Healthy snacks and pick’n’mix sweets at the office
- Social clubs organised by the team – so far we’ve got Run Club, Paella Club, ice-skating Club and Thirsty Club – suggest something new?
- Remote working as per company policy
- Working from home as per company policy
- Annual Salary Review