Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Sapienza Consulting a Serco company is recruiting a Meteorology and Calibration Engineer for Sapienza to work on our Customers Site (ESA-ESTEC).
Sapienza has been a partner of ESA for almost 30 years, and we pride ourselves in supporting a wide range of missions including Galileo, MTG, Copernicus and ExoMars. Our team is international with activities across the U.K., the Netherlands, North Macedonia, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
As Meteorology and Calibration Engineer you will concentrate your activities on the following:
Support to the engineering and laboratory activities of the Optics Laboratory:
- Optical system requirements specification, design, engineering, manufacturing and verification.
- Optical component technology, including micro-optics, fibre and passive integrated optics.
- Optical communications.
- Imaging lidars, laser metrology and ranging.
- Interferometry and optical aperture synthesis.
- Spectro-radiometric imaging instruments operating in the visible and infrared.
- General maintenance and servicing of optical, electro optical and electronics measurement equipment and instrumentation in order to assure that the relevant equipment is in an operational state.
- General operation and maintenance of the Optics Laboratory cleanroom.
- Procurement of laboratory materials, optical elements and components, chemicals and consumables.
- Contribution to the identification, selection and specification of new (capital) equipment, and execution of the annual laboratory investment plan.
- Installation and maintenance of computer software and hardware for measurement, data acquisition and analysis.
- Stock and equipment inventory tracking.
- Logging of all laboratory activities.
- Implementation of applicable safety rules and regulations.
- Maintenance of the procedures accredited under the ISO 17025 Quality Management System, development of new procedures and participation in the annual audits process (both internal and external).
- Planning, setting-up and execution of experiments and measurements of optical and Optoelectronics systems, devices and components.
- Provision of expert advice on optical test and verification methods, use of optical materials, optical design and optical system performance analysis (including Straylight) issues in support of ESA projects and technology R&D activities with industry and academic or research institutes.
- Analysis, evaluation, and interpretation of optical measurement data and results and provision of formal written reports to the laboratory customers.
- PhD or Master in Physics or Optical Engineering.
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Project and/or industrial experience in the design, engineering and testing and verification of various types of optical instrumentation.
- Solid experience in precision optical measurements at system, sub-assembly and component level.
- Good technical judgement, analytical and excellent verbal and written communication skills, in the English language.
- Experience in space project work, and of operations in a cleanroom environment.
- Knowledge and or experience in the use and application of the ISO 9000 series or ISO 17025 standards for quality management of test laboratories.
- Support the daily activities of the Metrology Laboratory.
- Provide metrology support to the ESTEC Test Centre customers, the ESA projects and the ESTEC laboratories.
- Provide metrology support for investment and maintenance activities of the ESTEC Test Centre.
- Assuring proper maintenance of laboratory instrumentation.
- Assuring a proper presentation of the Metrology Laboratory activities and plans to the Head of the Engineering Services Section.
- Project and/or industrial experience in the design, engineering and testing of various types of optical instrumentation.
- Comfortable with working in a diverse and multinational team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are needed, together with a high degree organizational and communication abilities.
- Proficient in the English language, both written and spoken.
- Knowledge of another EU member state language is an asset.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU.