Field(s) of expertise
About this job
We are recruiting a On-board Computer and Data Systems Engineer for Sapienza to work on our Customers Site (ESA-ESTEC).The On-Board Computer & Data Handling Section provides functional support to ESA projects and carries out technological research (R&D) on turn-key on-board HW Data Handling solutions for platform and payloaddata handling architectures and units (on-board computers, mass memories, remote terminals, etc.).
The post holder assignment concerns support to the Galileo 2nd Generation satellite Project (G2A satellite), Galileo Programme Department, Directorate of Navigation as an On-Board Computer andData Handling Systems Engineer. ESA starts the procurement of the first batch of the Galileo SecondGeneration (G2) satellites, which will provide all the services and capabilities of the current first generation, together with a substantial number of improvements as well as new services and capabilities.Reporting directly to the G2A Satellite Platform Manager, the post holder is technical responsible for the design and procurement of the G2A spacecraft data handling subsystem (DHS)
- provide expert technical support and consultancy to the Galileo projects regarding on-board Computer and Data-Handling systems throughout all project phases;
- lead and coordinate specialized engineering support provided by the Directorates of Technical & Quality Management and Operation for
- participating in feasibility studies, project reviews and the evaluation of procurement proposals within the DHS perimeter;
- identifying critical DHS development problems and assisting in their resolution;
- monitoring the industrial work associated with design, development, validation, qualification and acceptance of the on-board Computer and Data-Handling systems and associated equipment ensuring that these meet the satellite and security requirements;
- monitoring the industrial activities related to the definition and execution of the satellite verification programme in the areas of responsibility, including implementation and monitoring of AIT/AIV activities on Data Handling sub-systems and equipment.
- ensuring timely delivery of the Deliverable Items (to allow preparation of in-orbit operations) in the domain of responsibility as foreseen by industrial activities included in the SoW;
- elaborating in the area of expertise the dispositions related to anomaly-handling, NRBs, NCR process, RFD/W, etc.;
- participating in Agency project reviews and lower-level reviews in the relevant field of competence (DHS);
- preparing the inputs in the area of expertise for the Satellite Verification Control Board and Space Segment Control Boards’ processes;
- Regular and ad hoc reporting to the Satellite Platform Manager on all aspects of on-board Computer and Data-Handling sub-system andequipment development, proactive monitoring of relevant schedules,identifying risk and problem areas, proposing mitigation actions.
In performing these duties, the post holder shall ensure:
- close cooperation with G2A Sat Security engineer and the other G2A team engineers
- close coordination with other G2A functions (PA, Operations) as appropriate to maximise efficiency in executing the project.
- participate in periodic meetings with the parent On-Board Computer & Data Handling section, contributing to the transfer of technical knowledge and lessons learned (within the limits of mandated project confidentiality) across the Agency.
- Master’s in networks, electronics, telecommunications or a related field is required.
- At least 04 years of relevant work experience
- Applicants should have at least 10 years of professional experience in the fields of space hardware related to platform and payload data handling equipment (units, modules and boards).
- Knowledge in the fields of Data Handling Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE) and in the field of multi-core on-board computer architectures will be considered as assets.
- Fluent in English; knowledge of another ESA member-state language is an asset
Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU
Please send your CV (in English) as soon as possible, but no later than 05/07 to firstname.lastname@example.org
For information on how we process the personal data in your application, please see the Sapienza Privacy Statement here.