Field(s) of expertise
About this job
If you are an accomplished Software Architect with an abundance of experience in the Defence sector, combined with the pride and passion required to drive cutting-edge solutions that directly contribute to UK National Security, then this is the ideal role for you.
Using your software expertise, you will use your architectural and technical knowledge to help the Business Development team shape their strategies and solutions. This role involves customer- and supplier-facing activities and requires an ability to exercise initiative in the context of a long-term technical and strategic vision.
Demonstrating an enthusiasm for understanding new customer missions and generating clear, focussed and compelling cases for solutions, you will lead software architectural activities and software support to Business Development activities.
As part of this vital role you will develop candidate software solutions and outline technical solution concepts; deriving key elements of system and software specifications from high level system requirements. You will influence and shape the design of complex systems, including ensuring that software architecture supports accreditation against safety/airworthiness regulatory standards and other contractual requirements.
At Lockheed Martin the welfare of our staff is absolutely paramount and we wish all of our employees to have an excellent work-life balance. We therefore offer everyone the option to work full time hours over a 4 day week, giving you every Friday off work! Combined with this, this position comes with an abundance of remote working opportunities. We encourage a diverse workforce and we endeavour to be as flexible as possible to suit everyone’s needs. Whatever your individual circumstance, please do not hesitate to apply
Day to day responsibilities include:
- Taking ownership of enterprise-wide initiatives and planning, documenting, implementing and maintaining software solutions using internally created or off-the-shelf products.
- Supporting Business Development and Programme Management during capture and proposal phases.
- Being able to present to customers and collaborate with them effectively, building trusting, productive relationships.
- Leading complex software design activities exploiting state-of-the-art knowledge of multiple technologies and planning, design and analysis methodologies.
- Leading the design and documentation of the software development and integration process, e.g. Software Development Plan, Software Architecture Plan, Software Release Process etc.
- Owning initiatives to drive continuous improvement, innovation and technical excellence.
- Identifying and promoting alignment between opportunities and appropriate existing and planned LM products, including reach-back to LM US and international business units for product identification and influencing.
- Proactively setting the direction for use of new technologies and tools, and developing roadmaps which have the support of relevant stakeholders.
- Serving as organisation Software spokesperson on programs.
- Able to develop coarse effort and schedule estimates in the absence of detailed specifications
Required skills and experience:
- Extensive experience of software design, development, and assurance across the whole software lifecycle, including agile, waterfall, and hybrid frameworks.
- Ability to synthesize customer requirements, whether broad objectives, aspirations or specific contractual specifications, into software solutions that take into account technical, schedule and cost constraints.
- Ability to initiate assignments of a strategic nature.
- Clear and concise communication and presentation skills with the ability to convey complex technical concepts to technical and non-technical stakeholders, and to influence and invoke change throughout the organisation.
- Ability to work with all levels of engineering, programme management and leadership.
- Experience with the design, development and quality assurance of military safety-critical systems in accordance with Def Stan 00-055 and related standards.
- Experience in integrating in-house and third-party components sourced from a multi-supplier ecosystem, and understanding of the criteria for make/buy decisions.
- Knowledge of regulatory and safety standards (Safety Integrity Levels, RTCA DO-178, Military EMC, Environmental) and other Airborne and Maritime standards.
- Understanding of the capture process, including contributing to major bids.
Beneficial skills and experience:
- Experience in some of Ada 95, C/C++ or C#.
- Experience with any of the following: airborne systems, electronic warfare, maritime combat systems, command/control systems, data links.
- Experience supporting auditing of software processes.
- Software / system modelling methodologies and tools e.g. UML, TOGAF, SysML, SPARX Enterprise Architect, Artisan / PTC Integrity Modeller / Windchill Modeller.
- Understanding of collaborative toolsets e.g. JIRA, Confluence, SharePoint, Slack, Mural.
- Experience of remote working and an understanding of tools and approaches necessary to make it work effectively.