Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Sapienza Consulting, a tpgroup company, is recruiting a Database Specialist to join NATO – NCIA in Geilenkirchen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.
- Develops and maintains specialist knowledge of database concepts, object and data modeling techniques and design principles and detailed knowledge of database architectures, software and facilities
- Analyses data requirements to establish modify or maintain object/data models
- Evaluates potential solutions, demonstrating, installing and commissioning selected products
- Uses database management system software and tools to investigate problems, collect performance statistics and create reports
- Carries out routine configuration/installation and reconfiguration of database and related products
- Design and implement RDBM and OODBM systems
- Define data structures, logical and physical databases using CASE tools
- Revise database design; implement stored procedures, triggers; apply normalization and other harmonization activities
- Define advanced queries
- Use built-in Data Access classes in Application Frameworks to create Database Interfaces and classes in applications to be able to access and manage databases
- Evaluate and select commercial or academic databases for use
- Prepare Data Dictionaries and other related database documentation
- Deploy and maintain Commercial Of the Shelf (COTS) software to the NAEW CIS networks
- Install and maintain Oracle and MS SQL databases on Microsoft and Linux operating systems
- The incumbent is not planned to forward deploy to NAEW&C Force Forward Operating or Logistics bases.
On Call Requirements
- The incumbent is not required to provide on-call support
The HQ is looking for someone to support their process of accrediting a large number of software applications and systems. They have a large number to tackle, plus new capabilities come online all the time.
The specific tasks identified for the role, and associated skill/knowledge requirements, are as follows:
- Oracle Database 11g+ Administrator Certified Professional
- Oracle Enterprise Manager 11g+ Certified Implementation Specialist
- Executes efficient management and maintenance (both in-house and outsourced), installation and testing, operation and user support of databases for the NAEW&C data and mission support processes, hosted on NAEW&C networks and stand-alone IT/CIS Systems
- Oversees and applies life-cycle support for database configuration including installingand upgrading software and maintaining relevant documentation
- Oversees and applies quality assurance to the fielded databases software and support processes and related technical documentation
- Ensures effective system backup and recovery capabilities as well as adequate protection of all assigned ITCIS services (including software, on-line and archiveddata, workflows, etc. according to NATO NAEW&C security directives
- Ensures optimum database and application server performance and plans for forecast resource needs
- Ensures a viable disaster recovery capability for all assigned IT/CIS services (databases)
- Assists with strategies for effective use of database technology, taking account of the complex interrelations between hardware and software
- Recommends the definition of standards for database objects and ensures conformance to these standards
- Provides specialist expertise in the development, use or operation of database management system tools and facilities and enables configuration control on the engineering level of the software development environment
- Supports shaping database related mission problems into solutions that deliver added value to the mission value
- Supports enhancing the business intelligence environment by further building business intelligence infrastructure
- Maintains current awareness of evolving methodologies, technologies, and tools for business intelligence and reporting
- Provides expert knowledge in the selection, provision and use of database architectures, software and facilities, typically taking responsibility for a team of technical staff
- Supports product selection and acquisition, trial installations and walkthroughs, deployment, enabler training, testing and release for use, in-house and outsourced technical support and maintenance, and user helpdesk support of each assigned IT/CIS service
- On request, participates in feasibility studies and technically reviews, requirements definition and refinement for components of IT/CIS services to be developed / produced /delivered /integrated / installed by external organisations (NAEW&C, NATO, Government, Commercial Contractor)
- Participates in analysis of causes and incidents of IT/CIS Service failures (including IT/CIS System trouble-shooting) and effecting appropriate action to correct problemsrelated to database administration
- Maintains and operates an efficient and effective technical library for assigned databases.
- The successful candidate will work on site at NAEW&C Force HQ in Geilenkirchen under the direction of the Head of the CIS Support Squadron or designated Section Chief
- Database Specialist Overview
- The majority of systems developed by the Agency rely to some degree on the presence of a database system.
- Frequently, the Agency requires additional manpower to help with the development, testing and administration of databases
- There is also an occasional requirement for a database expert to review database designs of capabilities being developed by contractors on behalf of NCIA
- Knowledgeable of both relational and non-relational (NOSQL) database principles,design, implementation and/or administration
- Knowledgeable of Object Oriented Database principles design, implementation and/or administration
- Experience with writing queries and query optimization
- High-level knowledge of other computing disciplines including software development, system integration and IT service provision
- Desirable Specific Experience
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate Server 2012+
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate SQL Server 2012+
- Oracle Weblogic Server 11g+ Certified Associate Preference will be given to candidates with a demonstrated knowledge and experience of NAEW&C Force CIS Squadron organisation, procedures and IT Systems
If you are interested in applying then please click apply and one of the recruitment team will be in touch.
For information on how we process the personal data in your application, please see the Sapienza Privacy Statement.