A promising early venture requires a visionary and inspiring leader to take the business through this critical phase of moving from technology innovator into commercial growth, with the ultimate goal of a successful liquidity event for shareholders.
We are seeking an experienced CEO that has been through the lifecycle of a Venture Capital backed Technology Company – from funding through to exit (ideally). Background in Earth Observation would be optimum however data analytics and AI is the broader area that best fits the business.
• The key focus for the CEO is the delivery and commercialisation of the SAR strategy.
• Win the hearts and minds of the senior team as a charismatic leader, manager and astute business person.
• Develop and execute the business and commercial strategy to take the company to commercial success.
• Define and close the first commercial contracts validating the technology platform and business model of the company.
• Ensure the technology roadmap milestones are all achieved.
Key Responsibilities – Strategic & Business Leadership
• Ensuring that the strategy is appropriate and then execute the plan.
• Building, leading and developing staff ensuring they are aligned and focused on achieving the strategic objectives
• Ensuring leadership and good communication is effectively implemented across the organisation as it scales.
• Ensure that the commercial and technology goals of the company are aligned and are achieved.
• Continue the fund-raising activities with the existing and new potential investors.
• Develop an organisation that attracts, retains and motivates committed and talented staff.
Key Responsibilities – Commercial
• Develop the commercial strategy to maximise the market opportunity of the company, which will require prioritisation of the market applications and sectors.
• Develop the ‘go-to-market’ strategy, to ensure that commercial success is optimised with both channel partners and direct sales.
• Be personally involved in the negotiating and closing strategic contracts and building top level relationships with customers and partners.
• Continually review and prioritise the opportunity base, founded on an understanding of market trends and the competitive landscape.
• Ensure there is a scalable business and revenue model.
• Ensure the necessary systems and processes are in place to measure, manage and report the commercial activity as the business scales.
Key Responsibilities – Technology
• Focus on developing a commercial platform closely aligned with the needs and workflows for targeted customers
• Ensure that the team meets the agreed technology milestones.
• Ensure there is a well-managed IP and patent creation and management system in place.
• Ensure continued development of the technology roadmap.
Key Responsibilities – People
• On appointment, adjust quickly as a member of the team and gain acceptance as a high-calibre leader who can contribute significantly to the profitable growth of the business.
• Develop the company culture towards a commercial growth focus.
• Analyse and assess required staffing skills levels, prioritising appointments vital to each stage of the company’s growth and build a high-calibre team and a solid company culture.
• Ensure appropriate annual and long-term incentives are in place to attract and retain high calibre individuals.
Communication – Internal and External
• Keep all company employees informed of the company strategy and its performance against the agreed goals.
• Act as a highly visible external spokesman and ‘evangelist’ for the business and ensuring that the organisation is appropriately represented on all key/relevant partnerships and forums
• An experienced CEO that has been through the lifecycle of a Venture Capital backed Technology Company – from funding through to exit (ideally). Background in Earth Observation would be optimum however data analytics and AI is the broader area that best fits the business.
• We need a solution-oriented and customer-focused approach which requires a leader who can work with customers to define exactly what they are hoping to achieve and then help them deploy the product for maximum effect
• Given the company is looking to develop a SaaS offering, the candidate needs to be experienced in data analytics and data-based decision-making. The technical skills to collect, access and manipulate sales data along with the intellectual horsepower to pinpoint the key metrics for the business and distill the raw data into actionable information.
• A leader who is customer-focused and knows how to manage a cross-functional team to deliver the best service possible. Putting in place the right processes, systems and teams to enable rapid acquisition and onboarding of new customers. Establishing the processes and incentives to ensure that the sales team is engaged at all phases of the customer lifecycle, not just when closing the deal.
Interpersonal Skills and Personal Attributes
• A charismatic and personable manager and leader, able to quickly fit into the team.
• Excellent communication and people skills, at all levels, both as a negotiator and as an internal and external company spokesperson.
• Highly tenacious and achievement oriented.
• Excellent management skills with a ‘hands on’ approach to the role.
• A good strategist with the ability to look at the big picture whilst dealing with operational issues.
• Equally credible with the financial community as with the senior management of large corporations through to R&D personnel.
• A willingness to travel as required