Our client is at the forefront of innovation in the satellite communications industry and are able to offer expertise to design, develop and operate state-of-the-art solutions and systems, world-wide.
Their portfolio of services and technology know-how covers the entire spectrum of any satellite communication project, from market opportunity sizing and end-user requirements down to ground network development, commissioning, and operations.
We are seeking a Senior SATCOM Operations Engineer who will be able to bring further understanding and experience of military satellite operations. Working very much as the coalface, the successful recruit will need to help define and manage the operational and service delivery impacts in step with the evolving engineering architecture.
• Supporting the tender management process including RFP/RFP/ITN preparations, bid assessment, bid evaluations, responding to bidder questions/queries, down selection, negotiations, and eventual award.
• Providing understanding of satellite communications and network operations to both the rest of the team and in support of responses to bidder questions.
• Support detailed discussions with potential suppliers.
• Supporting in-house readiness and support activities including training and knowledge transfer.
• Working closely with associated in-house teams and related programmes to ensure consistency of approach.
• Communicate, present and clarify business and telecommunication practices on a satellite communications system and in relation to best industry standards and approaches including the eTOM & ITIL service management.
• Provide advice on through life support, integrated logistics support and maintenance of legacy systems and operations.
• Define, negotiate, and place maintenance and support contracts with Original Equipment Suppliers (OEMs)
• Support the definition of SLAs, MOUs, and peering agreements in a defence environment.
• Develop, manage, and maintain operational delivery requirements.
• Conduct bidder proposal assessment reviews against defined criteria and report findings.
• Feed service management architectural issues and inputs into next generation system requirements capture.
• Use industry best practice frameworks to guide future service operations activities considering any transitional steps required from the current operational system.
• Attend, and constructively contribute to meetings with the MOD, programme team bidders and suppliers.
• Ensure technical and operational integration with the other MOD workstreams and programmes to ensure uniformity of approach.
• Conduct project reporting against KPIs.
• UK National
• UK Security Cleared (or eligible to be SC cleared).
• 5+ years of experience of working in satellite and/or network operations.
• Ability to understand telecommunication business processes.
• Knowledge of the operating framework used by satellite communications / telecoms operators for service delivery and availability.
• Knowledge of the resource planning and delivery of communications services over satellite networks.
• Experience in the service assurance processes, business continuity and disaster recovery approaches.
• Awareness of the defence Industry and acquisition processes.
• Ability to write clear and concise bidder responses and produce tender documentation often at short notice.
• Chartered Engineer or equivalent.
• Experience of UK military satellite communications networks.
• Experience on UK military satellite ground infrastructure – equipment and operations.
• Experience of service delivery engagement on the UK military satellite operations and/or in another SATCOM operator environment.
• Experience with Network and Service Management technologies and developing SLAs.
• Familiarity of MOD guidance (KiD) and the implementation of this guidance.
• Familiarity with MOD’s Guide to Engineering Activities and Reviews (GEAR) Framework.
Skills, Character and Experience
• Experience of working as an integral part of a highly focused and professional team.
• Track record of having responsibility for the delivery of Satcom system assets and operations.
• Evidence of having worked on the tendering process from start to contract placement.
• Evidence of working under tight timescale and within budgetary constraints.
• Proven ability to produce unambiguous but concise technical reports and operational procedures at the detailed level for reporting to Senior Management.
• Systematic and thorough approach to Satcom service delivery. Business acumen to understand commercial implications of delivery and operationally based decisions with the ability to communicate these to interested stakeholders.
• Exemplary customer-facing presentation and communications skills.