Our client is at the forefront of innovation in the satellite communications industry and are able to offer expertise to design, develop and operate state-of-the-art solutions and systems, world-wide. Their portfolio of services and technology know-how covers the entire spectrum of any satellite communication project, from market opportunity sizing and end-user requirements down to ground network development, commissioning, and operations.
Our clients’ team is involved in establishing the requirements, design, capacity, performance and resource planning, verification and operation of satellite communications networks for both civil and military customers.
With this in mind they are expanding their team and are seeking a versatile Senior Satellite Communications Systems Engineer to provide technical and commercial expertise to their customers. The candidate will be responsible for undertaking a variety of communications systems engineering tasks on advanced satellite communications networks and supported communications services.
Ideally the successful candidate is expected to have acquired some specialisms and so will be expected to demonstrate experience of many – although not necessarily all – of the following skills, experience and responsibilities.
• Carry out modelling and establish and validate requirements for satellites networks based on end user needs
• End-to-end communications design and development incorporating RF systems, IP networks, OSS/BSS technology and development
• Requirements analysis and assessment of supplier solutions to meet communications systems requirements
• Communications system test strategy development and VV&T plan documentation and test execution in either ground or in-orbit test environments
• Ground segment engineering/terminal design and development
• Communications payload engineering design and test
• Preparation of concept of operations and service delivery documentation
• Minimum of 5-10 years relevant experience
• Masters degree in a relevant subject (e.g. Space System Engineering, Electronics, Communications); equivalent qualifications and/or experience can be considered as an alternative
• Experience in Satcoms systems engineering with a knowledge of system design, ground segment design, satellite operations and payload engineering
• Experience in IP networking, protocols and security of data
• Thorough understanding of communications systems and associated engineering concepts
• Strong practical knowledge of systems engineering practices from requirements engineering through design/development and on to VV&T
• Experience in developing requirements systems design documentation, test plans and procedures and operational procedures
• Knowledge of software development environments, languages and methodologies
• Proven track record of identifying and solving problems
• Chartered Engineer or equivalent
• Practical experience in the commissioning and testing of satellite systems (satellite and ground based)
• Familiarity with OSS/BSS technology and the use in management and reporting of communications networks
• Experience in assessment/development of security architectures in a communications systems and/or military communications networks
• Experience of software development environments, languages (Python, Java) and methodologies (Agile, DevOps)
• Knowledge of optical, 5G and/or Quantum technologies
Skills, Character and Experience
• Experience of working as an integral part of a highly focused team
• Good customer-facing and communication skills with ability to produce and present clear, concise and unambiguous presentations to customers and other clients
• Strong analytical skills, the ability to identify key issues and to solve day-to-day challenges and issues
• Proven ability to develop innovative solutions to defined problems