Our team is involved in establishing the assurance and test programmes for satellite communications networks for both civil and military customers. These networks can involve GEO, MEO and LEO satellite constellations.
We are expanding our team and are seeking a Systems Test Engineer to support the ongoing test programmes that are necessary to ensure mission success. This role will typically require development of the verification/test strategy which encompasses system and sub-system acceptance, integration and end-to-end system and acceptance test campaigns for cutting-edge satellite communications networks.
You will be expected to undertake a variety of test activities, primarily on the ground segment networks of advanced satellite communications networks and supported communications services. Working closely with our clients on their test campaigns before, during and after communications service launch, the successful candidate will be responsible for undertaking a variety of test-related activities and related communications systems engineering tasks including the development of test strategies, plans and procedures / test scripts at system, sub-system, network and end-user terminal levels.
You will have an excellent understanding of computer networks with system level breadth and trouble-shooting depth, ideally (but not exclusively) gained via a typical satellite system project. This interesting and varied work will be incorporating both space and ground segments, and requires test systems and systems engineering knowledge in addition to experience gained in distributed IP networks.
• Design, develop and prepare VV&T (Validation, Verification and Testing) strategies and plans, environments, facilities and equipment for complex mobile and fixed networks and their associated test environments.
• Development and execution of test cases which will incorporate IP-based service networks, satellite payload, ground systems, satellite radio networks, OSS and BSS technologies
• Identifying and troubleshooting system communication paths, capacity performance and network devices as well as conducting post-test data analysis and reporting.
• Creation of test reports to document issues and assist development with the investigation and resolution of issues.
• Review/comment on ‘testability’ issues, obvious design flaws, anticipate data collection points and develop plans for and conduct anomaly test and analysis as required.
• Experience of IP networks: designing, building, configuring (routers, switches), maintaining, faulting / troubleshooting, testing (e.g. routing, load testing, performance), network security / policies and associated documentation.
• Experience of creating test procedures / cases / scripts which may include the incorporation of satellite payload (communications, optical), ground systems, mobile and satellite radio networks, IP and service networks.
• Experience in testing and/or fault analysis and faulting tools (e.g.: iPerf, Wireshark, Spirent or similar).
• Experience using test management tools (e.g. Jira, X-ray).• Strong analytical skills, the ability to identify key issues and to solve day-to-day challenges and issues and to report upon and present KPI (Key Performance Indicator) and SLA (Service Level Agreement) information.
• Experience of working as an integral part of a highly focused team; self-motivated and enthusiastic even when under pressure.
• Good customer-facing and communication skills with ability to produce and present clear, concise and unambiguous presentations to customers and other clients
• An ability to develop innovative solutions to defined problems; adaptable to new requirements and changing priorities.
• Awareness of both commercial and technical issues.
• Willing to travel nationally and internationally where required (project dependent, short durations, for example to support test execution campaigns).
• Graduate with a good Honours or Masters degree in a relevant subject (e.g.: Computer Networks, Space Systems Engineering, Software Engineering / Computing, Electronics, Communications); equivalent qualifications and/or experience will be considered as an alternative.
• Experience and knowledge of IP network design, protocols (e.g. network layer, transport layer), security; experience of network troubleshooting, including identifying and solving problems and issues and associated knowledge of networking concepts (e.g.: TCP-IP, DNS, DHCP, Network Routing, ICMP, OSI model).
• Testing experience in a variety of environments (system end-to-end testing, stand-alone/integration testing, factory acceptance testing and operational networks), ideally but not mandatorily gained in satellite communication technologies / networks via a global satcom network provider.
• Experience of planning VV&T test campaigns, including strategy, conducting tests, collecting and analysing data from tests, communicating results and anomalies to test management and the customer through both presentations and formal test reports.
• Experience of installation and configuration of network equipment (e.g. iDirect modems / devices, Cisco and/or Juniper routers, switches, servers).
• Experience of hypervisor installation and management (e.g.: Type 1, ESXi VMWare, KVM).
• An appreciation of systems engineering processes and operational environments.