Field(s) of expertise
Space Systems Engineering Telecommunications Engineering
About this job
You can work at the forefront of innovation in the satellite communications industry, as we have been for two decades, offering to all its stakeholders unrivalled expertise in the entire spectrum of any satellite.
You will get the opportunity to work on both commercial and defence projects. Championing innovation and ingenuity as they are our guiding principles.
Working on establishing, implementing and validating ground control and monitoring systems and remote operation of intelligent communications payloads on GEO, MEO and LEO satellites for both civil and military customers.
We are looking for a Satcom Operations Engineer to support the ongoing payload operations procedure development and validation to ensure mission success on a number of programmes. This role will typically require developing an intimate understanding of the satellite payload architecture, developing operational procedures to control, configure and monitor the payload and subsequently performing validation of these operational procedures.
Ideally, you will be working in a role supporting the satellite payload ground segment system integration and validation campaign.
You will work closely with our clients through the ground segment validation and operations validation/rehearsal exercises that will precede Spacecraft Launch.
- Identification of requirements for Satellite Payload Operation Procedures.
- Development of these Operational Procedures in document and proprietary script language form.
- Support to definition and development of Satellite Operations database in terms of parameters and calculations used by satellite operations procedures
- Validation of the operational procedure execution using payload and spacecraft simulation tools and infrastructure.
- Support to development and execution of overall test strategy, test plans, test cases and test procedures for satellite TT&C ground segment operation.
- Identifying and troubleshooting satellite ground segment and payload problems as well as operational procedure execution problems.
- Creating validation reports to document issues and assist development with the investigation and resolution of issues
- Review/comment on testability issues, obvious design flaws, anticipate data collection points and develop plans for as well as conduct anomaly tests and analysis as required
- Awareness of both commercial and technical issues
- Adaptable to new requirements and changing priorities
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic even under pressure
- Able to function and communicate effectively within a team and with other personnel
- Proven ability to work to deadlines and stay focussed on objectives
- Good document writing and presentation skills
- Willing to travel for up to one month nationally and internationally to support test execution or validation campaigns
- Honours degree or equivalent in a relevant Engineering or Science discipline (e.g., Electronics / Communication Systems).
- Experience in developing operational procedures for remote control and monitoring of aerospace or communications platforms
- Experience in Operational Procedure Validation or Operational Readiness Testing
- Experience of planning test and validation campaigns, conducting tests, collecting and analysing data from tests, communicating results and anomalies to senior management and customers through both presentations and formal test reports
- Experience in the troubleshooting of Remote Monitoring and Control systems and IP interfaces as well as RF signal connection and protocol problems
- Knowledge and experience of using spacecraft/payload simulators in validation of systems.
- Experience in development in automated procedure or automated test development environments and troubleshooting automated procedure issues.