Field(s) of expertise
Space Systems Engineering
About this job
Work at the forefront of innovation in the space sector, specialising in satellite communications, offering worldwide stakeholders unrivalled expertise to design, develop and operate state-of-the-art solutions and systems.
You will get the opportunity to work on various aspects of the systems engineering lifecycle in the development of new satellite communications systems for defence and government programmes. As part of a dedicated team of engineers, you will be working closely with OEMs and our lead partners to ensure a seamless integration of new hardware and software to meet programme requirements focussing on services to provide communications to deployed personnel. You will support change management implementations, design reviews and requirements management activities.
- Oversee design and layout of communications hardware; configuration of RF / gateway devices and satellite simulators / tools.
- Managing reference test beds and associated facilities.
- Development and execution of VV&T (Validation, Verification and Testing) test cases which will incorporate IP-based service networks, ground systems and satellite radio networks.
- Identifying and troubleshooting system communication paths, capacity performance and network devices as well as conducting post-test data analysis and reporting.
- Creation of test reports to document issues and assist development with the investigation and resolution of issues.
- Review/comment on ‘testability’ issues, obvious design flaws, anticipate data collection points and develop plans for and conduct anomaly test and analysis as required.
- Assist with the design, development and preparation of strategies and plans; assist with specifying environments, facilities and equipment for complex satellite networks.
- Constructively contribute to, and otherwise support, the development of other associated elements and activities.
- Experience in a RF environment ideally gained in via a satellite communications operator.
- Experience in creating test procedures / cases / scripts in one or more of: satellite payloads (classical communications), ground systems, mobile and satellite radio networks, service networks or IP networks.
- Willing to travel nationally and internationally where required (project dependent, short durations for example to support test execution campaigns).
- To be able to work as an integral member of a highly focused team; a team player who is self-motivated and enthusiastic even when under pressure.
- Experience in testing and/or fault analysis and faulting tools.
- Good customer-facing and communication skills with ability to produce and present clear, concise and unambiguous presentations to customers and other clients
- An ability to develop innovative solutions to defined problems; adaptable to new requirements and changing priorities.
- Awareness of both commercial and technical issues.
• A sound technical engineering background.
• Graduate with a good Honours or Masters university degree or other qualification in a space / engineering discipline or STEM subject; equivalent qualifications and/or experience will be considered as an alternative.
• Good knowledge of satellite communications systems design ideally including a good understanding of access technologies, signalling protocols, antenna design and propagation.
• Understanding of RF propagation theories and associated experience of ground station RF equipment, ideally to include experience of RF circuits, RF systems design and test (including simulators/tools).
• Experience of producing communications link budget analysis and design.
• Understanding of end user terminals / devices.
• Understanding of satellite system design and modern digital modulation techniques
• An appreciation of systems engineering processes, particularly those related to test activities and operational environments.
• Knowledge or experience of on-board processing payload systems.
• An interest in the space sector and role; a genuine willingness to learn.
• Strong work ethic with a desire to grow knowledge both through mentoring and independently.