Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Work at the forefront of innovation in the space sector, specialising in satellite communications, offering worldwide stakeholders unrivalled expertise to design, develop and operate state-of-the-art solutions and systems.
We are expanding our R&D team and are seeking a Lead Satcom 5G R&D Engineer to shape and deliver our growing capabilities in the convergence of satcom and terrestrial cellular technologies. The objective is to support company Heads, R&D in defining technology-driven projects, and in winning and delivering those projects with the R&D team. These will be in our primary areas of interest for satcom/ 5G+ convergence namely in air interface and terminals, but in the context of the 5G network architecture. The full emergence of NR-NTN will take place over the next 5 years and we are developing capability to participate, contribute and support client projects.
This role has a focus on working with the 5G+ standards and with emerging NTN standards for the RAN, to define solutions or tools for Proof of Concept projects and to directly support development with the R&D team. Although projects will be typically focused in a specific 5G technology area, it is important for you to retain the system view as well. This system view allows participation in the specification and implementation of wider satcom-enabled 5G system demonstrators with our partners.
The role is likely to be suitable for someone with an in-depth understanding of mobile comms and 3GPP through industrial, PhD or post-doc experience in relevant topics, with skills and interests within the space and Satcoms fields.
- Technical authority within the team for cellular/ satcom convergence. Maintain awareness and potentially suitable level of participation in 3GPP standards evolution, especially NR-NTN.
- Support Head, R&D to develop and maintain company strategy and focus areas for 3GPP Satcom/Cellular 5G+ convergence.
- Define projects in line with strategy, mostly technology focussed or analytical; contribute to proposals.
- Take technical lead role in project delivery. This will include developing system architecture, communications models, and developing software or hardware components
- Carrying out systems engineering work in accordance with methodical approaches across the lifecycle in a variety of R&D tasks.
- Ability to see the context of a problem, to understand its driving factors, to generate ideas and apply an analytical approach.
- To work constructively in a team, to be willing to make and follow plans but also to question and challenge appropriately in a spirit of robust technical discussions.
- Be a fast learner and have a willingness to acquire and develop new technical knowledge and skills.
- Desire to shape new capabilities for us and to exploit and support use of cellular 3GPP standards in a space environment.
- Strong technical breadth of 3GPP systems and mobile networks, likely to have PhD or 5 years industrial experience in this area.
- An understanding of the whole 5G architecture RAN, Edge, network, core.
- Have technical expertise in radio/ RAN/ air interface and an appreciation of the demands and challenges of direct satellite to ground links. i.e. NR and NTN.
- To be able to demonstrate detailed knowledge in at least one of the 5G use cases (eMBB, mMTC, URLLC), with an appreciation of the others.
- Familiarisation with the 3GPP organisation processes and roadmaps; understanding of the direction of travel.
- Ability to lead technology developments of models, real-time software or hardware.