Field(s) of expertise
Space Systems Engineering
About this job
This is your chance to join an expanding SatComs team, as an experience Systems Test Engineer you will support the ongoing test programmes that are necessary to ensure mission success. You will typically be required to develop the verification/test strategy which encompasses system and sub-system acceptance, integration and end-to-end system and acceptance test campaigns for cutting-edge satellite communications networks.
You will undertake a variety of test activities, primarily on the ground segment networks of advanced satellite communications networks and supported communications services. Working closely our clients on their test campaigns before, during and after communications service launch, being responsible for undertaking a variety of test-related activities and related communications systems engineering tasks including the development of test strategies, plans and procedures / test scripts at system, sub-system, network and end-user terminal levels.
You will need to have an excellent understanding of computer networks with system level breadth and trouble-shooting depth, ideally (but not exclusively) gained via a typical satellite system project. This interesting and varied work will be incorporating both space and ground segments, and requires test systems and systems engineering knowledge in addition to experience gained in distributed IP networks.
- Design, develop and prepare VV&T (Validation, Verification and Testing) strategies and plans, environments, facilities and equipment for complex mobile and fixed networks and their associated test environments.
- Development and execution of test cases which will incorporate IP-based service networks, satellite payload, ground systems, satellite radio networks, OSS and BSS technologies
- Identifying and troubleshooting system communication paths, capacity performance and network devices as well as conducting post-test data analysis and reporting.
- Creation of test reports to document issues and assist development with the investigation and resolution of issues.
- Review/comment on ‘testability’ issues, obvious design flaws, anticipate data collection points and develop plans for and conduct anomaly test and analysis as required.
- Experience of IP networks: designing, building, configuring (routers, switches), maintaining, faulting / troubleshooting, testing (e.g. routing, load testing, performance), network security / policies and associated documentation.
- Experience of creating test procedures / cases / scripts which may include the incorporation of satellite payload (communications, optical), ground systems, mobile and satellite radio networks, IP and service networks.
- Experience in testing and/or fault analysis and faulting tools (e.g.: iPerf, Wireshark, Spirent or similar).
- Experience of testing user interfaces (UI/UX).
- Experience using test management tools (e.g. Jira, X-ray).
- Strong analytical skills, the ability to identify key issues and to solve day-to-day challenges and issues and to report upon and present KPI (Key Performance Indicator) and SLA (Service Level Agreement) information.
- Experience of working as an integral part of a highly focused team; self-motivated and enthusiastic even when under pressure.
- Good customer-facing and communication skills with ability to produce and present clear, concise and unambiguous presentations to customers and other clients
- An ability to develop innovative solutions to defined problems; adaptable to new requirements and changing priorities.
- Awareness of both commercial and technical issues.
- Willing to travel nationally and internationally where required (project dependent, short durations, for example to support test execution campaigns).