Field(s) of expertise
Space Systems Engineering Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
We are recruiting a Chemical Propulsion Engineer for Sapienza to work on our Customers Site (ESA-ESTEC) to provide support for Spacecraft (chemical propulsion) and for Launchers (liquid and solid propulsion) to the Customer’s project teams.
- Providing expert technical support in Propulsion for Spacecraft (chemical propulsion) and for Launchers (liquid and solid propulsion) to the Agency’s project teams responsible for the development of spacecraft and launchers, throughout all the project phases.
- Supporting the activities for studies, experimental investigations and engineering developments in spacecraft and launcher propulsion (components, equipment, sub-systems, systems).
- Supporting the activities for studies, experimental investigations and engineering developments in advanced propulsion (components, equipment, sub-systems, systems), such as nuclear propulsion, solar/thermal upper stages, Airbreathing Propulsion, Advanced Chemical Systems, MEMS etc.
- Support in the following activities:
- provision of specialised support to Agency feasibility and project definition studies, preparatory programmes and approved projects in the field of chemical propulsion;
- participation in the definition and execution of the Agency’s technology programmes;
- contribution to the overseeing activities of the Technical and Quality Management Directorate;
- harmonisation with other ESA and national developments and monitoring of applicable development trends;
- provision of specialised support to feasibility, preparatory programmes and approved projects in the field of chemical propulsion, including CDF participation;
- assessment and development of chemical propulsion novel propulsion concepts (e.g. Nuclear and Airbreathing technologies);
- assessment and development of relevant advanced propulsion methods, processes and concepts (MEMS propulsion, Green Propulsion, Advanced Manufacturing etc);
- the configuration/system design of chemical propulsion systems including the initiation of appropriate critical technology developments (coordinating support by other D/TEC sections);
- establishment and promotion of design and engineering standards in the area of chemical propulsion;
- the undertaking of programmes of basic experimental research and evaluation/qualification testing in the chemical propulsion in the ESA Propulsion Laboratory at ESTEC.
- Master’s Degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering with emphasis in space propulsion related subjects.
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience
- Proven experience in the design, development and/or testing of chemical propulsion systems and/or components for spacecraft and/or launcher applications.
- A good knowledge of other specialist technological areas involved in space propulsion i.e. materials, thermal, mechanical would also be desirable.
- Fluent in English; knowledge of another ESA member-state language is an asset.
For information on how we process the personal data in your application, please see the Sapienza Privacy Statement here.