Field(s) of expertise
Software Engineering Space Systems Engineering
About this job
We are recruiting an EGSE Software Engineer for Sapienza to work on our Customers Site (ESA-ESTEC). The successful candidate will support ESA project teams in activities related to ground software systems for the science ground segment, specifically data processing. The contractor will be assigned to the Ground Software Systems and Functional Verification Section of the Software Systems Division
- Supporting the procurement, development, and utilisation of EGSE for space systems, subsystems and instruments, including preparation of requirement specifications, monitoring of industrial activities, acceptance of industrial products and participation in project reviews.
- Supporting R&D studies and Standardization activities in the EGSE domain.
- Supporting the maintenance and future developments of the EGSE Reference Facility to support prototyping of new technology, standards validation and evaluation of industrial methods and tools.
- Provide on demand expertise in activities related to EGSE systems:
- Project support for Ground Software Systems, such as the EarthCare Operational Scientific Ground Segment development, Level 0, 1 and 2 data-processing, visualization. This includes generic software engineering, software development support, collaborative software development environment support, software acceptance (compilation, installation, running tests).
- Project (such as PLATO) support on the procurement, development and utilization of EGSE systems, including problem solving, interfaces with external systems and project reviews.
- Support on R&D studies, specifically related to the (currently under development) European Ground System Common Core (EGS-CC), which will be the basis of the future Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE) and Mission Control Systems (MCS) infrastructures in Europe.
- Maintenance and future developments of the EGSE Reference Facility as part of the Software Systems Laboratory. This includes software builds and integration of industrial elements to the EGSE reference facility as well as the functional verification in end-to-end scenarios, maintenance of an EGSE software library/configuration management/lab website, evaluation of needs and generation of requirements for enhancements.
- Support Standardization activities in the EGSE domain (e.g. E70-30 Monitoring and Control Data Definition, E70-32 Test and Operations Language, E70-41 PUS, E10-23 Space System Data Repository).
- Master’s Degree or PhD in Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Space Systems Engineering, Mathematics or a related discipline.
- At least 4 years of relevant work experience.
- Extensive practical experience of implementing and building complex software systems in the space domain, in developing and utilizing EGSEs, in modelling monitoring and control data in compliance with the ESA monitoring and control systems (legacy systems such as SCOS or future systems such as EGS-CC).
- Knowledge of modern software engineering practices and standards applied to real-time systems.
- Knowledge of Space Systems and Space System Engineering is necessary.
- In particular, experience with one or more topics such as:
- Level 0, 1 and 2 data-processing chains
- SW development (Java, Eclipse)
- Service oriented and component-based architectures (OSGi, Karaf)
- Unix/Linux system administration and programming
- Configuration management and build of large SW projects (Git, Maven, Jenkins, Nexus, Gradle)
- Object Oriented design methods and corresponding tools (e.g. MagicDraw)
- Databases: Oracle, Postgres, Hadoop
- SCOS 2000 and the SCOS 2000 MIB ICD
- Experience with the relevant ECSS standards particularly PUS and its tailoring
- Ability to work independently and to establish good working relations with ESA and industrial counterparts is essential.
- Fluent in English; knowledge of another ESA member-state language is an asset
Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU
Please send your CV (in English) as soon as possible, but no later than 25th November to email@example.com
For information on how we process the personal data in your application, please see the Sapienza Privacy Statement here.