We are expanding our team and are seeking an In-orbit Test (IOT) Engineer to support the ongoing test programmes that are necessary to ensure mission success. This role will typically require development of the test strategy which encompasses system and complex multi-payload end-to-end system and acceptance test campaigns for cutting-edge satellite communications networks.
The successful candidate is expected to undertake a variety of IOT preparation and test activities. Working closely with our clients on their test campaigns before, during and of course after communications service launch. The successful candidate will be responsible for undertaking a variety of test-related activities and related communications systems engineering tasks including the development of test strategies, plans and procedures. Typically, during campaigns, the work offers the opportunity of on-site international travel.
You will require an excellent understanding of payload design and RF communications with system-level breadth and trouble-shooting depth, ideally (but not exclusively) gained via a typical satellite system project. This interesting and varied work will incorporate both space and ground segments and requires test systems and systems engineering knowledge.
A graduate who impresses and/or who has some relevant experience would be encouraged to apply.
• Development and execution of IOT VV&T (Validation, Verification and Testing) test cases which will incorporate satellite payload, IP-based service networks, ground systems and satellite radio networks.
• Identifying and troubleshooting system communication paths, capacity performance and network devices as well as conducting post-test data analysis and reporting.
• Creation of test reports to document issues and assist development with the investigation and resolution of issues.
• Review/comment on ‘testability’ issues, obvious design flaws, anticipate data collection points and develop plans for and conduct anomaly test and analysis as required.
• Assist with the design, development and preparation of strategies and plans; assist with specifying environments, facilities and equipment for complex satellite networks.
• Experience of creating test procedures / cases / scripts in one or more of: satellite payloads (classical communications, optical), ground systems, mobile and satellite radio networks, service networks or IP networks.
• Willing to travel nationally and internationally where required (project dependent, short durations for example to support test execution campaigns).
• To be able to work as an integral member of a highly focused team; a team player who is self-motivated and enthusiastic even when under pressure.
• Experience in testing and/or fault analysis and faulting tools.
• Good customer-facing and communication skills with ability to produce and present clear, concise and unambiguous presentations to customers and other clients
• An ability to develop innovative solutions to defined problems; adaptable to new requirements and changing priorities.
• Awareness of both commercial and technical issues.
• A sound technical engineering background.
• An appreciation of systems engineering processes, particularly those related to test activities and operational environments.
• An interest in the sector and role; a genuine willingness to learn.
• A university degree or other qualification in a space / engineering discipline or STEM subject); equivalent qualifications and/or experience will be considered as an alternative.
• Experience of producing link budgets.
• Knowledge or experience of on-board processing payload systems.
• Understanding of satellite system design.
• Understanding of RF propagation theories.
• Understanding of RF equipment in ground stations.
• Strong work ethic with a desire to grow knowledge both through mentoring and independently.