Field(s) of expertise
Earth Observation Space Systems Engineering
About this job
Sapienza Consulting, a tpgroup company, is recruiting a Mission Performance and Processor Engineer for Sapienza to work on our Customers Site (ESA-ESTEC).
Sapienza has been a partner of ESA for almost 30 years, and we pride ourselves in supporting a wide range of missions including Galileo, MTG, Copernicus and ExoMars. Our team is international with activities across the U.K., the Netherlands, North Macedonia, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
Provision of support to Earth Observation Projects in the domain of End-to-end (E2E) Mission Performance covering both software and algorithm aspects. He/she will work integrated in the relevant Project Teams and will report to the System Manager (or equivalent role within the Project).
The candidate will contribute to the activities of the other staff and contractor personnel, interfacing with internal (e.g. Instrument Engineer, GS Engineer) and external (e.g. Industry, Mission Scientist, Level 2 team) actors as needed. Tasks will include:
- Contribute to the overall specification of the E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain (from Scene Generation up to Level-2);
- Monitoring the development of the Instrument Simulator Software developed through an ESA contract with industry;
- Monitoring the development of the Level 1 Prototype Processor Software developed through an ESA contract with industry;
- Monitoring the development and the integration of the overall E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain and its components, developed through an ESA contract with industry;
- Reviewing the Level-1 and Instrument Simulator algorithms and input/output interfaces;
- Perform the integration of E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain developed by industry with the L2 scientific components developed by scientists.
- Ensuring that the E2E Mission Performance Simulator chain and its components and algorithms meet the required functionality and performance, taking into account system, instrument, geophysical model and calibration/validation facility aspects;
- Installing, maintaining and operating an up-to-date copy of the E2E Mission Performance Simulator software at ESTEC;
- Analysing impacts on the mission performance resulting from deviations during the development programme;
- Ensuring the proper verification and validation methods are proposed and implemented;
- Supporting Test Data production and verification;
- Supporting the analysis of the data collected during on-ground and in-orbit calibration and characterisation campaigns;
- Developing any needed software tool to support all the mentioned activities;
- Providing necessary inputs for the relevant internal and external meetings.
- Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in Computer science, Physics or Engineering.
- Very good knowledge of computer environments and software development (Linux, compilers, debuggers, scripting such as python, shell scripts, perl…).
- Knowledge of the Earth Observation (payload data) ground segment, including; processes such as calibration, monitoring routine data processing; processors and facilities; interactions with other stakeholders (FOS, end users).
- Knowledge of data analysis/processing (statistics, error budgets; simulations; data tools).
- Working knowledge on remote sensing techniques,
- Good level of autonomy and organizing skills.
- Fluent in the English language (spoken and written); knowledge of other languages is an asset.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU