Field(s) of expertise
Product and Quality Assurance
About this job
Sapienza Consulting, a Serco company, is recruiting a Physical Sciences Instrumentation Engineer for Sapienza to work on our Customers Site (ESA-ESTEC).
Sapienza has been a partner of ESA for almost 30 years, and we pride ourselves in supporting a wide range of missions including Galileo, MTG, Copernicus and ExoMars. Our team is international with activities across the U.K., the Netherlands, North Macedonia, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Germany, Italy and Spain.
The employee will work in the Life support and Physical Sciences Instrumentation Section in ESA-ESTEC. The main focus of this job is sustainable life support technologies, In Situ Resource Utilisation and small payload development for manned and unmanned spaceflight. This position will strengthen our team for payload related activities.
- Implement and supervise R&D activities in the field of payload development for manned and robotic exploration missions.
- Support the flight implementation of scientific payloads.
- Implement and supervise R&D and flight demonstration activities in the area of In Situ Resource Utilisation.
- Assistance in the provision of engineering support to ESA projects throughout the life cycle.
- Provision of support in detailed technical specifications of planned R&D activities.
- Assistance in technical evaluation of technical developments and as well of project designs and implementations.
- Planning, setting up of test activities in the laboratory.
- Support to testing for exploration and microgravity payloads.
- PhD or master’s in physics, Engineering or Chemistry, with a focus on space science instrumentation.
- 3 or more years of experience in phase C/D payload implementation and MAIT and possibly related PA aspects.
- Experience with optical payloads and/or mass spectrometry.
- Experience in planetary instrumentation is an asset.
- Good knowledge of software and electronics is an asset.
- Comfortable with working in a diverse and multinational team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills are needed, together with a high degree organizational and communication abilities.
- Proficient in the English language, both written and spoken.
- Knowledge of another EU member state language is an asset.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in the EU.