Field(s) of expertise
About this job
“Make everything you do a work of art.” – Peter Beck
Rocket Lab is redefining how we access space by providing frequent and reliable launch to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) – we’re opening access to space to improve life on Earth.
Rocket Lab is the global market leader in dedicated small satellite launch, with a strong leadership team, solid financial backing and a full launch manifest. To meet the growing demand of dedicated small satellite launch, Rocket Lab is assembling a world-class team.
Rocket Lab is its people. We are seeking passionate, highly-skilled individuals who are comfortable working in a dynamic, technically challenging environment where they will be given ownership of processes from start-to-finish.
IT Systems Engineer
The IT Systems Engineer is responsible for the implementation and operation of the different computing platforms, networks and applications that are required at Rocket Lab. Carrying out upgrades, maintenance, and having a focus on continuous improvement are key to provide a reliable and secure infrastructure. To achieve this a focus on monitoring the environment and responding to incidents, problems, requests, and planning for growth is required.
Provides subject matter expertise, advise, and guidance to deliver and support IT systems through efficient management and support of the IT Infrastructure and the delivery of projects. Collaborates with the IT Manager, the IT Team, and other key stakeholders to set targets, goals and deadlines.
Ensure that systems are compliant with applicable standards to maintain robust information security in accordance with PSR and NIST 800-171.
Systems & Network
- Deployment and management of server and network hardware; switches, routers, wireless APs, virtual hosts, etc.
- Deployment and management of applications including updates and patching.
- Monitoring and reporting of the environment including OS capacity, hardware/software activities, and resource utilization.
- Capacity planning to predict growth and provide recommendations.
- Procurement of equipment and related software/licensing
- Debug, assist and resolve issues as they arise
- Ability to assist and work remotely to resolve issues
- Ensure that all systems are backed up correctly and that this is tested regularly.
- Assist the IT Manager in the development and update of policies, standards and guidelines.
- Delivery of robust information security.
- Enable on time delivery of Launch services through provision of IT.
- Enable on time delivery of Research and Development projects through provision of IT.
- Identify and assess risks. Assist in planning and implementation to reduce, remove, or mitigate risk.
- Ensure that systems are compliant with applicable standards to maintain robust information security in accordance with PSR and NIST 800-171.
Design and Architect
- Assist with the design, implementation and documentation of IT systems and services.
- Produce high level and detailed design documents.
- Produce and update “as built” and other documentation.
- Manage any IT implementation projects.
- Create process milestones and checks to ensure project development is meeting high level requirements
- Provide project plan and regular updates
- Identify and resolve challenges and roadblocks.
- Develop and/or maintain key relationships with:
- IT Manager, to ensure IT activities are in-line with corporate objectives, policies and standards;
- Key Stakeholders in US and NZ, to ensure IT activities are in-line with corporate objectives, policies and standards;
- Mentor and support the staff within the IT team to be motivated, effective and efficient in their roles, and provide opportunities for growth and development through coaching opportunities.
- External IT suppliers, to ensure consistent provision of service across all sites; and
- The Rocket Lab management team, to ensure delivery of IT services to meet the requirements of each department.
- Assist IT Manager to ensure budgets are accurate and maintained to support financial reporting requirements.
- Ensure all company financial policies and procedures are followed.
Take on new opportunities and tough challenges with purpose, urgency and discipline, by:
- Readily taking ownership and action on challenges, without unnecessary planning, and being accountable for the results
- Identifying and seizing new opportunities
- Displaying a can-do attitude in good and bad times, and celebrating success
- Stepping up to manage tough situations and encouraging colleagues to do the same
Shape the agenda, creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful, by
- Coming up with useful ideas that are new, better or unique
- Challenging the status quo
- Introducing new ways of looking at problems
- Generating and adopting new and creative ideas, and putting them into practice
- Encouraging diverse thinking to promote and nurture innovation
Make good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward, by:
- Making sound decisions, even in the absence of complete information.
- Relying on an appropriate mix of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgement to make valid and reliable decisions.
- Considering all relevant factors and using appropriate decision-making criteria and principles, taking calculated risks where required.
- Recognizing when a quick 80% solution will suffice, and when it will not.
- Analyzing information to make effective decisions in order to improve performance.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE / EDUCATION
- 5+ years in a technical role.
- Advanced problem solving and analytical skills – able to see the big picture, make connections and appropriate decisions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lead teams and work independently or as part of a team.
- Experience with most and in-depth knowledge in at least one of:
- Windows and/or Linux server (Ubuntu/Debian) enterprise environments.
- virtualization technologies, public / private cloud.
- Active Directory and Group Policy.
- Database and reporting technologies: MS SQL, Power BI, MySQL, Tableau, etc.
- Modern web-based applications including hosting, troubleshooting, security, etc.
- Security frameworks and technology: ISO 27001, NIST 800-171, IPSEC, SSL VPNs, firewalls, etc.
- Cloud based technologies: Azure, AWS, O365, etc.
Additional Information / Responsibilities
- Domestic and international travel may be required.
- Provide live support during launch and test operations
To conform to US Government space technology export regulations, applicants must be a US citizen, lawful permanent resident of the US, protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorization from the US Department of State.
Rocket Lab USA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, employment with Rocket Lab USA is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.