Field(s) of expertise
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
- Prepares surfaces and applies stain, paint or other materials for decorative or protective purposes to wood, metal or other surfaces of internal or external structures or equipment
- Determines surface peculiarities, use and environment of surfaces, and types of paint or stain required for different applications
- Conforms to safety and health standards
- Representative Activities include:
- Prepares and cleans surfaces for painting by removing old finish, sanding, and applying fillers and sealers.
- Selects and mixes paints to obtain desired texture and color.
- Selects, requisitions, and stores materials in appropriate quantities.
- May do window glazing.
- Typically requires skills acquired through completion of a two to three year apprenticeship program or equivalent work experience, and instruction from more experienced painters.