This customer support role will assist Eumetsat Cloud tenants in the setup of their required virtual environment, support user issues related to cloud processing and EUMETSAT data and provide a first level ensuring the smooth operations of the cloud services for all tenants.
The Hosted Processing relays on a cloud infrastructure develop and maintained in house. The infrastructure is based on VMware, Kubernetes and Openstack and the Hosted processing support engineer will have multiple tools to automatize and frustrate the tenants operations (AWX, Morpheus, etc).
Typical activities to be undertaken are:
• Provide support for European Weather Could customers and users:
o 1st level support
o Helping customers to understand the service, tailor their processes and support the implementation and onboarding
o Provide feedback to 2nd and 3rd level cloud support specialist on improvements for a better customer experience
• Assist users to set-up their own infrastructure to the European Weather Cloud and response to related queries.
• Monitor resources and user activities to avoid impacts of their processing on the system or other users.
• Support user on-boarding to the cloud environment
• Provisioning / Preparation of relevant support and automation scripts / tools (application support), preferably with Ansible
• Offer technical solutions to cloud customers regarding user cases, and being able to deploy those solutions in an automated way, preferably with Ansible.
• Define, set-up and maintain a range of VM environments (“images”) reflecting user needs for cloud applications and allowing European Weather Cloud tenants to choose and pre-configure their specific environment (e.g. Batch environment, processing environment with relevant tools, user environments extending over various VM’s) in a Cloud Application Management such as Morpheus;
• Train tenants on how to use the Cloud environment and provide suitable documentation (e.g. user guides);
• Support the maintenance of the EO datasets on the systems;
• Interact closely with 2nd level engineering support for Cloud Infrastructure.
This is a full time position, located at EUMETSAT (Darmstadt), Germany.
Fluency in English (spoken and written) is mandatory, as English is the working language.
The variety of the tasks and the scope of the systems to be supported require a high degree of autonomy and good analytical skills together with the ability to effectively cooperate within the team.
Applicants shall have a university degree in computer science (or equivalent). You should have proven knowledge and work experience with the following:
• GNU\Linux administration using different distributions (SLES, RHEL, Ubuntu);
• Automation (AWX, Morpheus) and monitoring (CheckMK, Nagios);
• Experience in operations and production environments;
Proven knowledge and hands-on experience with the following is mandatory:
• Definition, implementation, testing and documentation of end-to-end system changes;
• Preparation of technical documentation in English in a complete and clear manner;
• Communication and interpersonal skills, being able to effectively communicate and coordinate activities within different teams;
• Experience with customer communication and management. The candidate shall be able to identify customer needs and requirements, provide technical guidance to customers with different technical background, design and implement reusable user cases and workflows, identify feasible or impractical requirements and transfer feasible requirements to the Cloud Infrastructure support team.
• The candidate should be able to provide technical guidance to customers and distinguish the differences between concepts like IaaS and PaaS; Kubernetes, Openstack, and VMware; openstack instance, Container and VM; Volumes and Images, etc.
Proven knowledge and at least 3 years hands-on experience with at least 3 of the following technical aspects is mandatory:
• Good understanding of virtualization technologies (VMware);
• Good understanding of cloud infrastructure (Openstack, Docker, Kubernetes);
• Good understanding of core services management (DNS / LDAP / DHCP / NFS / unattended installation services, etc );
• Good understanding of network and storage infrastructure.
• Basic understanding on tools and services like Python, R, Anaconda, Jupiter, pip, package management, etc.
Knowledge and hands-on experience with the following would be an advantage:
• Basic knowledge about netcdf, hdf5.
• Usage of Atlassian tools such as Jira and Confluence
• Hands on experience with docker containers and similar