Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Rocket Lab is the global leader in small satellite launch. Our mission is to open access to space to improve life on Earth. There are endless possibilities for what we can achieve with better access to space, and that access is now a reality thanks to Rocket Lab. Our team is 500 people strong and we’re adding to it every week. Collaboration is at our core – every idea is heard, and everyone makes a difference. Teams are nimble, decisions are made quickly, and we are action oriented.
While other companies talk about it, we do it!
The IT Support Specialist, working closely with the IT Support Team Lead, manages the IT Service Desk queue and carries out the day-to-day Service Desk functions required to provide the efficient delivery of IT services to Rocket Lab.
Provides instruction, guidance, and technical support to the different teams at Rocket Lab to deliver and support IT systems through efficient management of the IT Service Desk. This is carried out via on site desktop support, phone, IM, and email.
Ensure that systems are compliant with applicable standards to maintain robust information security in accordance with PSR and NIST 800-171.
Service Delivery and Reporting
- Provide quality IT support and service by interacting positively with our staff, answering enquiries, and effectively handling complaints.
- Is an expert in finding a way to say yes.
- Track and update support desk Incident, Request, Problem, and Change, Project tickets, and other documentation.
- Provide assistance, training and guidance to new starters. Help identify ways that we can improve our onboarding process and experience.
- Helps with problem research and documentation to provide workarounds and fixes.
Teamwork and Relationship Management
- Positive disposition and attitude even in the face of seemingly impossible challenges.
- Encouraging team members to achieve team and company goals and targets.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Willingness to share knowledge.
- Assists with providing data for reports about team performance, objectives, deadlines, and compliance with security.
- The ability to develop and maintain relationships with a broad range of people of varying backgrounds, and to be adept at engaging and collaborating with those people:
- IT Manager, to ensure IT activities are in-line with corporate objectives, policies and standards.
- IT Team, to facilitate teamwork and collaboration in pursuit of common missions and mutual goals.
- Rocket Lab Staff, to deliver outstanding support of our IT systems and services.
- External IT suppliers, to ensure consistent provision of service across all sites.
- Enable on time delivery of Production and Launch services through provision and support of IT systems and services.
- Provide assistance, training and guidance to new starters.
- Report on any new business requirements.
- Participate in the Continuous Improvement Process; the ongoing effort to improve our service, IT Systems, and processes.
- Assist in the development of new systems and networks.
Systems & Network
- Assisting staff with a wide variety of issues, systems and services used within the business.
- Assisting with basic network connectivity and wireless queries.
- Assisting with access and authentication for user accounts.
- Assist in monitoring the environment, carrying out system health audits, and escalates alerts or warnings to the appropriate team members.
- Ability to assist and work remotely to resolve issues
- Setup and deployment of new workstations and associated hardware.
- Deploy and manage applications and desktop operating systems including updates and patching.
- Ensure that systems are compliant with applicable standards to maintain robust information security in accordance with PSR and NIST 800-171.
- Log and escalate all security incidents, vulnerabilities, and other issues to the appropriate people.
- Participate in and assist with all audits, investigations, data gathering, and reporting.
- Make recommendations to improve the security of our IT systems.
- Assist IT Manager to ensure budgets are accurate and maintained to support financial reporting requirements.
- Assist with managing IT Software licensing and hardware items in use and in the storeroom.
- Assist with procurement and asset tracking.
- Ensure all company financial policies and procedures are followed.
- Understand the basic principles and the skills required to run a successful project.
- Contribute towards project scoping, updates, and reporting.
- Assist with implementation of any IT projects as needed.
- Identify and help to resolve challenges and roadblocks.
- Provide live support during launch and test operations
Take on new opportunities and tough challenges with purpose, urgency and discipline, by:
- Readily taking ownership and action on challenges, without unnecessary planning, and being accountable for the results
- Identifying and seizing new opportunities
- Displaying a can-do attitude in good and bad times, and celebrating success.
- Stepping up to manage tough situations and encouraging colleagues to do the same.
Make good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward, by:
- Making sound decisions, even in the absence of complete information.
- Relying on an appropriate mix of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgement to make valid and reliable decisions.
- Considering all relevant factors and using appropriate decision-making criteria and principles, taking calculated risks where required.
- Recognizing when a quick 80% solution will suffice, and when it will not.
- Analyzing information to make effective decisions in order to improve performance.
Effective communication and world class support is vital to the success of this role.
- 1-2+ Years’ experience in a support or service role.
- Has a basic understanding and has experience in following a framework for service delivery such as ITIL.
- Experience with most and some knowledge in at least one of:
- Windows and/or Linux desktop operating systems.
- Windows and/or Linux server (Ubuntu/Debian) enterprise environments.
- virtualization technologies, public / private cloud.
- Active Directory and Group Policy.
- Database and reporting technologies: MS SQL, Power BI, MySQL, Tableau, etc
- Modern web-based applications including hosting, troubleshooting, security, etc.
- Security frameworks and technology: ISO 27001, NIST 800-171, IPSEC, SSL VPNs, firewalls, etc.
- Cloud based technologies: Azure, AWS, O365, etc.
- Domestic and international travel may be required
- Role model safety culture and ensure health and safety policies and standard operating procedures are followed
- Correct PPE is worn in designated areas
- Near misses and incident are reported promptly
- Additional duties as reasonably required including after-hours.
- Participate in the on-call roster.
- Procure hardware and software as per policies and standards; creating purchase orders, writing justifications, asset tracking, receipting, and stock taking.
- Produce well written and easy to understand documentation.
- Track and update service desk and project tickets and other documentation.
- Follow and suggest improvements to all Rocket Lab standards policies, processes and procedures.
- Strong organization skills with the ability to delegate tasks, set clear goals, and deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills – able to see the big picture, make connections and appropriate decisions.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate and present complex and technical concepts and ideas to a general audience.
- Maintains confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Being an exceptional multitasker, displaying excellent time management skills and ability to work under pressure.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.