Field(s) of expertise
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
Reports to: Supply Chain & Production Director
REL has a unique opportunity for a Manufacturing Leader on a 6-12 month fixed-term basis that can define the next steps in Reaction Engines commitment to, deliver a pioneering class of engine with our SABRE development programme and support Applied Technologies product development through to volume production. The successful candidate will have a track record in making step changes in manufacturing environments, creating best in class operations and delivering significant benefits and stability to the business throughout the product life cycle.
Job Role/ Purpose
The role will deliver a world-class Industrialised manufacturing operation capable of meeting the various challenges of Space, Aerospace, Automotive, and Industrial markets. It will deliver the improvements and growth required to bring our concepts through development and production ramp to meet volume delivery requirements.
The candidate will put in place the required process and daily execution controls to support the launch of design concepts through to volume manufacturing, in conjunction with all internal stakeholders, to meet the business growth objectives in capability, compliance safety and quality/costs/time objectives.
The successful candidate will be able to deliver a step-change in the manufacturing operations at various points in the business growth, through internal expansion and/or externally through appropriate Make – Buy decision points.
Please include a covering letter in your application.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Execution: Drive relentless execution on a daily basis
- Efficiency & Productivity
- Instil a daily drumbeat mentality
- Demand management and resource sizing / alignment
- Identify risks and provide mitigation plans
- Foster cross functional team working
- Standardise and reporting
- Improvement: Define / implement improvements required to meet business objectives
- People development
- Daily stand up structure – SQCDP
- Quality reactiveness – QRQC / rapid 8D
- DFM and industrialisation through PLC
- Identify gaps and improve technical competence – micro hole drilling, micro tube incretion
- Implement Demand sizing and S&OP process reviews
- Efficiency / Flexibility to support QTA v’s Revenue
- Operations Road Map
- Execution – Clean room, Layout 5S, Operations Gemba Boards and defined KPI’s
- CI – Review self-assessment and define actions to target areas associated to deliver sustainable improvements aligned to the business objectives.
- Structured growth : Assess and propose controlled growth plans for production operations
- Produce demand maps to resource & capital growth requirements
- Position the business and put in play models to quickly react to growth opportunities in a rapid controlled way.
- Approvals – support actions to deliver ISO 9001, AS9100, NADCAP etc
- Modular growth model – Factory in a box methodology
- Collaborate with SC to update Make buy decisions as needed
Qualifications and Experience
The successful candidate will have a manufacturing engineer background with sufficient gravitas to inspire and give confidence to both colleagues and customers. It is essential that he/she has experience of creating world class manufacturing processes from scratch.
- Delivered step change in operational excellence
- Manufacturing Industrialisation background
- Engineering and design experience
- Lean Principles qualification
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate at all levels
- Able to energise a high-performing, matrixed team
- Able to represent the company in discussions with customers, suppliers and partners
- Personally motivated with a task oriented approach, ability to achieve objectives with right balance of self-initiative and delegation
- Ability to motivate and develop direct reports and wider teams
- Ability to assess and propose step change improvements in support of business goals and objectives.
- Demonstrate behaviours consistent with Reaction Engines core values: