Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Within the Network Management Directorate, the Network Manager keeps the network operating as smoothly and efficiently as possible, working closely to support industry actors by providing services, functions, deliverables and training. The Network Manger delivers ATM performance for the pan-European network in the areas of safety, capacity, environment/flight efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
We are looking for a Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to provide sound leadership in all technical aspects of the Network Manager (NM) activities and in supporting IT solutions and IT services used in the Agency (excluding our Upper Area Control Centre in Maastricht, NL) and by stakeholders. S/He will address areas such as architecture, software development, ICT infrastructure, and technical operations. S/he will cooperate with staff, stakeholders and customers to ensure that NM technologies meet stakeholder requirements. The CTO will manage large ICT teams (up to 300 staff including contractors) in an international context together with large sourcing deals (above 100 M€ multi-year) and important ICT transformations. S/he will be accountable for major ICT programs with CAPEX above 100 M€. The CTO has to be well-versed in current technological trends and familiar with a variety of business or organisational concepts.
The CTO reports directly to the Director Network Management.
- propose a vision on how technology will be used in line with the business objectives for safety, quality, security, redundancy and availability;
- manage the technology organisation and lead organisational transformation;
- manage operational and non-operational technical services to meet the requirements of different stakeholders;
- ensure that the technological resources meet short and long-term needs;
- create timelines for development and deployment of all technological services;
- act as a coach and a mentor to staff reporting to him/her;
- maintain a stakeholder-focused outlook and to ensure the timely delivery of programs;
- manage the technology budgets and timeframes;
- manage the sourcing strategy for the technological pillar;
- optimise the technology organisation in close cooperation with other Agency bodies;
- stay on top of technology trends (e.g. Big Data, AI, Machine Learning) and developments (e.g. Cloud Services);
- ensure that all technology practices adhere to regulatory standards;
- perform any other task in line with the main purpose of the job.
- Completed university studies of 4 years in a relevant domain, e.g. Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field;
- In addition to the above, a minimum of 18 years’ relevant professional experience, including 15 years in management or strategic activities;
- Internal candidates should check on the intranet to see what level of in-house experience is considered equivalent to educational qualifications where appropriate;
- Experience in leading major ICT transformation programs;
- Knowledge and experience of various organisational models such as collaborative or team-centric models would be an advantage;
- Advanced technological skill set and demonstrated history of working in technology;
- Extensive industry knowledge with an eye towards the future;
- Vision: Proposes the Agency vision for IT technology;
- Strategic focus: Develops business/service strategy in line with Agency’s strategy;
- Leadership: Adopts a modern leadership style, is a people manager, team builder and team player;
- Communication: Strong communication and negotiation skills;
- Problem solving: Takes into account the bigger picture and considers impact of solutions;
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment;
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach;
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. Thorough knowledge (oral/written) of one of the working languages of the Agency and satisfactory knowledge of the other language.