Field(s) of expertise
Education and STEM
About this job
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you travel by air almost anywhere in the world it is likely that GKN is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to better in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do.
The Director of Technology will serve the critical role in the development of the company’s technological platforms and initiatives. This individual will be responsible for advancing the aforementioned technology platforms, while leading Research and Development initiatives, testing and certification at one of the world’s leading aerospace technology suppliers.
The importance of this role is crucial to the company’s continued success. The ideal candidate will embody the right mix of leadership, communication, and technical skills to propel the company to the next level of technological advancement and success.
- Contribute to the profitability of the company by overseeing the effective allocation of human, production and technical resources to position the company as the producer of low-cost, total quality and technologically superior parts.
- Develop technology needed for new products in specific aircraft systems.
- Ensure that the quality of the company’s products is consistent with agreed-upon specifications.
- Coordinate with the engineering function including capital planning and identification of methods, systems, equipment, labor and technologies required by future cost/performance objectives.
- Achieve cost reductions that will allow the company to expand its product line to commercial or other applications.
- Ensure that the company meets its contractual obligations by producing composite parts according to specifications.
- Develop short and long-range plans and programs, including budget requests.
- Provide leadership and direction with emphasis on team building.
- Development of a highly-motivated, well-trained staff capable of meeting the short- and long-term operations requirements of the company.
- Prepare and conduct regular employee performance reviews with each directly-reporting subordinate at least once each year.
- Ensure the company’s commitment to maintain a safe workplace and to protect the environment through adherence to various government regulations.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of a corporate culture, which supports the company’s overall business objectives, by providing leadership with issues that involve “cost, quality, process, schedule and people”.
- Responsible for ensuring the attainment of Affirmative Action and EEO goals and objectives that support cultural diversity in the workplace and for maintaining compliance with various government regulations.
- Become full immersed in the technology and chemistry of the company’s products, while building relationships and trust with the engineering team.
- Conduct an in-depth analysis of all R&D test, and certifications procedures, and develop a strategic plan to stabilize processes where necessary.
- Develop and propose a plan for upgrading the R&D laboratories, in regards to appearance and operation, with the vision of having a world-class laboratory environment, which can be a flagship model for visiting customers.
- Advanced degree in Material Science or Chemistry.
- 10+ years of experience in R&D in a relevant industry.
- U.S. citizenship required.
- PhD preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of polymer materials science and associated technologies, including materials analysis and characterization methods.
- Knowledge of optical measurement methods.
- Strong computer skills, written and oral communication skills.