Field(s) of expertise
About this job
For our office in Darmstadt, Germany, we are seeking for a Senior IT System Administrator with wide technical knowledge on design and operation of IT core services. The main activities involve virtualization and infrastructure technologies, VMware, GNU/Linux and IBM AIX.
As a member of our Terma IT team, you will provide support to our internal and external customers, international organizations within the space sector. The ultimate target of this role is to ensure the IT platform supporting the earth observation satellites and spacecraft operations activities is running smoothly.
The duties range from the support to the internal and external operational environments and facilities, to the analysis, design, development, testing and maintenance of new mission critical ground segment facilities.
Future activities, after you acquire enough domain knowledge, will bring you other responsibilities that might grow into technical leadership and service management.
- High level management of the current platform, suggesting improvements and deploying new systems and services;
- Technical implementation and coordination of customer driven activities prior agreed upon;
- 3rd level support hands on, responsible for investigation and resolution of complicated and/or challenging incidents;
- Provision of support, as required, to critical operations;
- Take ownership and technical lead of design, implementation and coordination of system improvements and completely new services and infrastructures;
- Provide technical consultancy, advice and guidance on latest IT trends to team members and end customers;
- Team technical leadership and mentoring.
- Applicants shall have a university degree in computer science (or equivalent).
- You should have proven extensive knowledge and work experience with the following:
- IBM AIX or GNU/Linux operating system(s);
- Virtualization technologies (VMware, NSX, PowerVC);
- Cloud infrastructure (Openstack, Docker, Kubernetes);
- Automation (ansible) and monitoring (CheckMK, Nagios);
- Operation and production environments;
- Understanding of network and storage infrastructure.
- Proven knowledge and at least 7 years hands-on experience with at least 3 of the following is mandatory:
- GNU\Linux administration using different distributions (SLES, RHEL);
- IBM AIX administration and troubleshooting;
- Big scale VMware infrastructures;
- Core services management (DNS/LDAP/DHCP/infrastructure);
- (2 years) OpenStack or Docker/Kubernetes infrastructure.
- Proven knowledge and hands-on experience with the following is mandatory:
- Definition, implementation, testing and documentation of end-to-end system changes;
- Preparation of technical documentation in English in a complete and clear manner;
- Communication and interpersonal skills, being able to effectively communicate and coordinate activities within different teams;
- Team mentoring and technical guidance.
- Fluency in English (spoken and written) is mandatory, as English is the working language.
- The variety of the tasks and the scope of the systems to be supported require a high degree of autonomy and good analytical skills together with the ability to effectively cooperate within the team.