Field(s) of expertise
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
Following specific and general instructions, specializes in Tig and EB welding on all types of metal including titanium, nickel alloy and aluminum. May also clean, tack and weld production hardware using both auto and manual welding techniques on a variety of metals. Acts as mentor for junior Welders. May work with engineering to resolve problems and develop new processes and/or procedures.
- Performs Tig welding on production parts using an Electron Beam Welder.
- Performs Arc, Mig and Tig welding on all types of metals to include steel, aluminum, stainless steel and titanium.
- Cleans, grinds, and performs inspection as required to insure conformance to specifications.
- Runs small lathes and mills to fabricate own parts.
- Helps in the design stage as required on projects.
- Mentors/provides guidance assistance and training to junior Welders.
- Checks all work to assure that quality standards are maintained and has adhered to all specifications and procedures involving internal and customer practices.
- Maintains a clean work environment (including assigned storage and cleaning duties) in full compliance with internal, customer and government regulations.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of a corporate culture, which supports the Company’s overall business objectives and goals, by providing leadership in issues that involve “cost, quality, process, schedule and people”.
- Ensures the company’s commitment to maintain a safe workplace and to protect the environment through the establishment and support of Company policy and adherence to various government regulations.
- Fully comply with the “GKN Aerospace, Inc. Policy Statement on Contracting with the United States Government” in all areas of responsibility involving direct and indirect contracting with the United States Government. Ensure subordinate staff isaware of the policy and their individual responsibility and accountability for complying with it.
- Perform daily preventative maintenance of equipment in adherence with a predefined schedule.
- Performs other duties, tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
- One year certificate from college or technical school or equivalent work experience
Experience and Qualifications
- Minimum of four years direct and related welding experience or successful completion of the GKN mentorship program for this field is required.
- AWS certification on all materials to be welded.
- Requires knowledge of basic math and ability to read blueprints and meet inspection requirements in accordance with customer specifications.
- Knowledge and experience in trouble shooting of safety, quality and technical issues with co-workers, quality and engineering functions.
- Must be willing to work in a repetitive production environment with concern for meeting cost, quality and schedule requirements.
- The ability to work as a team player as well as independently is required.
Mental and Physical Requirements
- Mental and Physical Demands
- Basic Math skills
- Manual dexterity
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Lift up to 50 pounds
- Withstand loud noise of a machine shop environment
GKN is an EOE/M/F/D/V employer. Candidates must meet all requirements under ITAR