Field(s) of expertise
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
Under limited supervision, improves existing tool designs and creates new tool designs to provide for improved, safer production and to ensure conformance with customer, government and company requirements.
- Creates new tool designs to support new manufacturing programs or to improve the producibility of existing products.
- Checks outside suppliers and in-house designs for accuracy and functionality to ensure the producibility of the design. Coordinates design efforts with outside suppliers, as required.
- Analyzes and revises existing tool drawings to simplify the manufacturing process.
- Generates generic calculations to simplify tool design for accuracy and repeatability. Maintain tool design standards book to ensure standardization of new tooling.
- Maintains tool design/make schedule to ensure timely support of manufacturing programs.
- Researches tooling and tooling component catalogs to obtain the most cost-effective products.
- Provides technical direction for toolmakers.
- SAFETY – Maintains a constant awareness towards safety in the workplace and notifies supervision immediately of hazardous conditions and practices.
- QUALITY – Exhibits commitment to quality performance in all aspects of every task or project performed.
- Minimum 4-year degree in mechanical engineering, or equivalent.
- 5+ years mechanical tooling design experience in an aerospace manufacturing environment preferred.
- Must possess thorough knowledge of analytical mathematics and geometry, with a strong background in drawing interpretations.
- Computer aided design skill highly desirable
Mental and Physical Requirments
- Ability to read, write and comprehend English instructions
- Interface and interact well with all departments of the company
- Interface and interact well with all levels within the company
- Ability to sit and work in an office space and/or desk job setting
GKN is an EOE/M/F/D/V employer. Candidates must meet all requirements under ITAR