Field(s) of expertise
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Aerospace Engineering
About this job
A fantastic opportunity has arisen based at our groundbreaking Global Technology Centre (GTC) in Bristol, which is designed to support GKN Aerospace’s UK workforce and close collaboration with the world-class UK aerospace ecosystem, building on joint expertise, talent and infrastructure. A great example of the UK’s industrial strategy approach, the GTC will take aerospace innovation to the next level and ensure that UK Aerospace industry will continue to operate at the forefront of global aerospace.
As a Senior Composite Research Engineer, reporting to the Composite Technology Centre Manager you will lead the development and application of automated processing technologies to the manufacture of composite airframe components and assemblies in the Composite Technology Team. To lead technology maturity processes and insertion into production facilities.
- To lead work package activities on automation of composite manufacturing processes concerning all aspects from material receipt through to material cure and finishing operations.
- Technology areas will include; Ply cutting, handling, deposition (AFP/DFP/NCF), Curing, Integration, Tooling, Process Monitoring, Material testing and Simulation.
- Delivery of innovative ideas and solutions to manufacturing process development requirements.
- Management and delivery of the Technology Readiness level gate reviews for assigned technology strands.
- Provision for the manufacturing of aerospace standard composite test pieces and components to required specifications.
- Dissemination of results to internal & external stakeholders.
- Liaison with design and structures engineers to help conceptual ideas and realise technical solutions
- Schedule management of assigned technology strands.
- Maintain a safe workshop environment with appropriate adherence to H&S requirements.
Formal Qualifications Essential:
- Recognised Degree or HNC/HND or equivalent with demonstrable technology research experience
Specific Functional Capabilities, Knowledge and Skills Required Essential:
- Sound knowledge of composite materials and processing methods (10+ years in aerospace operations or R&T)
- Programme experience with AFP/ ATL, NC programming, Robotics, Simulation, CATIA environment or similar equipment or production cells.
- Hands on experience in the manufacture of composite aerospace components and assemblies.
- Recognised experience/qualifications in Mechanical, Materials Science or Aerospace Engineering.
- Full Comprehension of the design requirements for composite components.
- Leading new developments in the field of composites.
- Good team working skills.
- Self-motivated, Innovative thinker.
- Good reporting and presentation skills on project status and progress.
- Flexibility towards hours of work when tight deadlines emerge.
- Familiar with ATI work package management
- Involvement with HVMCI EPSRC, IMechE group activities.
- Composite planning, ME or M&P experience.
- Continuous improvement toolsets.
- Fluent verbal and written English language skills are essential
- Ability to travel (UK primarily and Global)