Field(s) of expertise
Business Administration and Finance Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
Under minimal supervision, The Operations Manager develops plans and strategies for the Value Stream activities including but not limited to strategic planning, capital investment, operations, profit and loss, continuous flow, material movement, LE (Lean Enterprise) Basic Thinking with focus on quality, delivery, customer interface, continuous improvement, cost, inventory and EHS.
- Directs the manufacture of products at the lowest possible cost with the highest quality.
- Defines the long and short-term goals of the operations activity.
- Develops/inputs the manpower loading, capacity plan, inventory management and delivery commitment.
- Develops a high performance team by supervising Operational and Technical staff to include, but not limited to, hiring, staff development, counseling and corrective action, training, performance evaluation and motivation.
- Plans, organizes and implements lean manufacturing principles in this VSM reducing operational costs and improving customer satisfaction.
- Works with internal and external customers to assure schedule consciousness and appropriate workflow through the shop to ensure meeting external customer demand.
- Monitors, analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of operations to ensure that all VSM objectives are met in support of the company’s vision and corrective actions are taken as required.
- Develops, implements and manages current year’s VSM annual plan and financial results on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis to attain achievement of sales and profit plans.
- Serve as a change agent by influencing, communicating and institutionalizing a culture of simplification, standard work, process improvement and lean principles.
- Leads and influences all elements of Value Stream (material, manpower, machines, etc) from material inputs to parts shipment including overall responsibility of Maintenance, Supply Chain, Operations and Engineers to effect maximum level of productivity, quality and on-time delivery of product.
- Educates, coaches and directs the Operational and Technical Teams to deliver Value Stream results.
- Responsible for P&L within respective Value Stream.
- Directs the procedures and activities related to procurement of materials and capital equipment.
- Promote continuous improvement through employee involved work teams and use of visual controls.
- Achieves on-time delivery to meet customer schedules, sales and profit targets for Value Stream.
- Provides program management of new part introduction to Value Stream.
- Achieves successful resource management though utilization of GKN and supplier resources.
- Perform as liaison and relationship builder that focuses on improving the external customer experience to drive customer allegiance.
- Performs other duties, tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
- Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant engineering or business or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 8+ years of technical/manufacturing experience required.
- 5+ years supervisory/management experience required.
- Must be a U.S. Person.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Advanced degree in business or engineering preferred.
- Aerospace industry experience preferred.
- Formal management training preferred.
- Proven experience in influencing, leading cross functional teams and driving change results orientation.
- Change agent with strong credibility and influence in the organization.
- Demonstrated commitment for process improvement with results.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate others and achieve results. Customer-focused in meeting commitments of quality and delivery.
- Must possess demonstrated problem solving, manufacturing practice applications (e.g., SPC, Flow Charts, standardized work, KAIZEN, etc.).
- Must possess excellent demonstrated interpersonal, leadership, organizational and communication skills.