Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Within the Directorate European Civil-Military Aviation, the service Innovation manages all Agency research & development (R&D) and innovation activities in coordination with other Directorates. The R&D work is mainly organised through SESAR, covering also participation in H2020 projects and engagement in international research coordination, and consultation groups. Innovation manages and develops the Agency’s Validation Infrastructure including the organisation of real-time simulation services.
We are looking for a Head of Air Transport Innovation to provide sound leadership and define the Innovation strategy in line with the Directorate’s and Agency’s mission. S/He will build industry and stakeholder partnerships and manage the Innovation service (+/- 150 staff), its range of activities (R&D, innovation), its resources (budget and personnel) to develop and implement business opportunities to drive research, development and innovation with the overall aim to contribute effectively to ATM research to meet current and future demands.
S/He will also act as site manager for the Experimental Centre site in Brétigny-sur-Orge close to Paris.
The Head of Air Transport Innovation reports directly to the Director European Civil-Military Aviation.
As Head of Air Transport Innovation, your role will be to:
- build industry and stakeholder partnerships for the innovation and technical services of the Agency;
- create alliances and develop consortiums to facilitate industry needs and implement projects;
- work with stakeholders to create sustainable services for the Agency in term of market, finance and thought leadership;
- develop, implement and manage the R&D and Innovation strategy and objectives, manage and promote its range of domains and activities including resources (budget and personnel), resource allocation, succession planning and staff development;
- adopt a full lifecycle approach in order to reduce the gap between R&D and deployment;
- create a cooperative State/Industry service platform for innovation;
- ensure strong coordination with Agency Directorates and build and maintain effective relations within relevant R&D stakeholders and aviation networks;
- manage the Experimental Centre’s validation infrastructure and services (e.g. fast-time and real-time simulations for the Network, En-route, Terminal Manoeuvring Areas, Airports, etc.) and to maintain and enhance the position of the Agency in concept, product validation and certification processes.
As the Experimental Centre Site Manager, your role will be to:
- manage the market positioning, finances, budget and viability of the Centre;
- ensure resources are deployed efficiently and cost effectively to service stakeholders;
- monitor the overall site performance and promote local mitigation actions as needed;
- manage local risks and crises through the local Risk Management and Crisis Committees;
- ensure and oversee applicable corporate policies and processes (e.g. on-site security, safety at work, environment, HR, social dialogue, finance, etc.);
- represent the Director General vis-à-vis local authorities and Protocol.
- Perform any other task in line with the main purpose of the job.
- Completed university studies of 4 years in a relevant domain, e.g. Master’s degree in the field of science, engineering, etc.
- Internal candidates should check on the intranet to see what level of in-house experience is considered equivalent to educational qualifications where appropriate.
- In addition to the above, a minimum of 18 years’ relevant work experience, including 15 years in management or strategic activities.
- Senior management experience in an ANSP, Research Organisation, Airport, Airline or Technology provider.
- Strong experience in forming and leading international consortium projects.
- Experience at deploying international consortium technology to partner organisations.
- Experience in managing service and technology projects in the areas of ATM system deployment, leading international technology projects, research activities and training.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and good marketing, commercial and consortium building experience.
- Experience in large-scale programme management and record of successful accomplishment in delivering complex work packages.
- Understanding of the aviation sector (Air Traffic Management Concepts and Systems, Flow and Capacity Management, airports operations), its growth challenges, actors and networks.
- Knowledge of relevant European Commission programmes.
- Leading: Demonstrates direction
- Strategic focus: Develops business/service strategy in line with Agency’s strategy
- Creativity and innovation : Innovates the Agency
- Influencing: Builds alliances and develops influencing strategies
- Managing change : Drives corporate changes at all levels
- This post involves frequent mission to Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach.
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular post, thorough knowledge of English (oral/written) and satisfactory knowledge of French to the extent necessary to perform the described duties are required.