Field(s) of expertise
Aerospace Engineering Product and Quality Assurance
About this job
Boeing Test & Evaluation UK carries out T&E on a range of Boeing platforms and activities in the UK and other countries. BT&E UK is seeking an instrumentation engineer to support UK test operations in the areas of development of instrumentation solutions to meet UK T&E requirements. They will also support T&E planning and proposal activities by developing the FTI requirements with the test team and then work alongside aircraft modification embodiment teams in installing FTI equipment. They will perform calibrations and preparation of FTI systems for use by test participants in an aircraft and wind tunnel environment and execute data replay to support post-test analysis.
Development of instrumentation solutions to meet UK T&E requirements. Support T&E planning and proposal activities by developing the FTI requirements with the test team. Work alongside aircraft modification embodiment teams in installing FTI equipment. Create drawings, perform calibrations and preparation of FTI systems for use by test participants and execute data replay to support post-test analysis. Provide direction and advice on the development of Boeing UK FTI capability.
- Support Boeing T&E UK test operations on surface and airborne systems.
- Design, installation and operation of Instrumentation systems working within Boeing Design approvals.
- Lead Instrumentation development and certification activities.
- Support to Boeing T&E at other global Boeing sites as required, including support to test campaigns at the 5m Farnborough Wind Tunnel.
- Support customer meetings to identify data requirements and solutions.
- Participate in programme planning and support for safety activities.
- Identify risks, issues and opportunities and the development of mitigation plans for T&E activity.
- Support the further development and maintenance of T&E and safety process.
- Work with supplier management in the identification and procurement of Instrumentation equipment to meet UK T&E requirements.
Duties which may include:
- Deployment to test sites inside and outside the UK for prolonged periods.
- Support in-flight operation of Instrumentation systems installed on test aircraft.
- Participate in the development of aircraft Mission Systems modifications.
- Support Flight Test programmes in the Test Conductor role.
- Trials lead for Unmanned Surface Vessel operations.
- Development of Boeing UK Instrumentation capability across several platforms.
- Understanding of current Instrumentation technologies to ensure cost-efficient solutions are developed for Boeing T&E programmes.
- Knowledge and track record in developing instrumentation designs through to certification and T&E execution.
- Knowledge of Safety and Quality Assurance process interactions with test operations.
- Knowledge of development/release and configuration control processes.
- Able to apply programme-unique aspects of test equipment and operational safety limitations and safety controls.
- Able to assist and complete installation activities on aircraft to support maintenance and operation of test assets.
- The role will have a significant customer and wider Boeing interfaces, therefore, a person who is diplomatic while being strong-minded is required.
- Able to pass an FAA (Class III), EASA (Class 2) and UK military (Cat 3) aviation medical.
- Engineering or Science Degree.
- Experience of test conduct within Combined Test Teams.
- Technical knowledge on a range of air/maritime systems, including rotary wing, USV/UAS and fixed-wing aircraft.
- Instrumentation experience in Ship Helicopter Integration Testing.
- Qualification and/or experienced in Wind Tunnel test activities.
- Knowledge of Aerodynamic/Fluid Mechanic principles.
- Experience in working with international collaborative organisations or partnerships.
Some UK and global travel are expected, with some travel to other global sites. Work hours for this position usually 37.5 hours per week, extended work hours may be required to support the test schedule.
All information provided will be checked and may be verified.
Please apply asap for this role as recruitment may commence before the end date.
Important information regarding this requisition: This requisition is for a locally hired position in the UK. CANDIDATES MUST HAVE CURRENT LEGAL AUTHORIZATION TO WORK IMMEDIATELY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM. BOEING WILL NOT ATTEMPT TO OBTAIN IMMIGRATION AND LABOR SPONSORSHIP FOR ANY APPLICANTS. Benefits and pay are determined at the local level and are not part of Boeing U.S. based payroll.
PLEASE NOTE: The successful candidate will be expected to undergo a SECURITY CHECK/CLEARANCE
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.