Field(s) of expertise
About this job
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an ambitious Manufacturing Engineer to join GKN Aerospace, based in the A330 Long Range division at our Filton Facility, Bristol.
Filton is GKN Aerospace’s largest advanced aerostructures facility, with almost 1,500 employees. The site specialises in the assembly of major leading and trailing edge wing sub-assemblies, as well as the manufacture of wing structural components for civil and military aircraft. Major customers including BAE Systems and Airbus, with key contracts on world-leading single aisles (A320 and A330), widebodies (A350 and A380) and military aircraft.
The successful candidate will be responsible in providing Manufacturing Engineering (ME) support to the business to enable the achievement of business targets. You will assist in the resolution of cell related issues, and the reduction and elimination of nonconformance. There will be an expectation of you establishing the most cost effective route of manufacture achieving the required quality and meeting drawing requirements. This must be achieved whilst ensuring environmental compliance through ISO 14001 and 18001, and adherence to best practice Health and Safety methodology.
- Cell related production and quality issues
- Determining the most effective and economical method of manufacture whilst meeting drawing requirements.
- Compilation of process planning for a defined area. In conjunction with the local tooling engineer, define tooling requirements to enable manufacture
- Assist/advise on the introduction of new products, and/or modifications to existing products and associated tooling.
- Assist in the definition of manufacturing facilities and equipment requirements
- Provide support for the introduction of new facilities and equipment
- Assist and advise on the implementation and reporting of key projects and/or continuous improvement programmes, within a defined area
- Be a key interface with a number of internal and external bodies at all levels encompassing both direct and indirect employees
- Address all tasks in line with defined ME procedures detailed in the Filton QMS
- Make points of contact with external representatives including suppliers, consultants and controlling authorities within guidelines set by relevant departments e.g. Commercial
- Must have a HNC/ONC (or equivalent) level qualification and/or a recognised trade qualification with manufacturing experience in an aerospace production environment
- Knowledge of, and ability to use and implement LEAN tools and techniques
- Knowledge of GKN and its working procedures including Filton QMS
- Strong communication and IT skills including SAP and MS Office
- Ability to function as a team player
- Ability to work under own initiative within a defined programme and targets
- Ability to use and knowledge of Global ME requirements, including PPS/PFMEA/SPC
- Drawing understanding and interpretation