Field(s) of expertise
About this job
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you travel by air almost anywhere in the world, it is likely that GKN is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to be better in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do.
The Tooling Engineering Manager will lead, plan, direct and control all engineering, operational, quality and property accountability activities associated with Tooling on the GKN Site. Coordinate all design, fabrication, rework, calibration and repair of production tooling from receipt of customer requirement through component delivery and product support. Included are tool, engineering design, tool quality management, collective bargaining unit personnel management and government property accountability in accordance with Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) Part 45 and customer requirements. Perform administrative functions with respect to establishing and ensuring adherence to policies, procedures and methods, recommending changes to improve product quality, reduce costs and improve product flow times.
- Plan, organize and control all activities engaged in the design, fabrication and maintenance of tooling and tooling processes standards, tooling work instructions and all other related functions required for tooling in support of the fabrication and assembly of aerospace components. This includes significant interface with subcontract tool design and fabrication suppliers.
- Establish methods for defining, planning and documenting tooling processes. Develop procedures for the specification and requisition of material, parts and equipment required for the manufacture of Tooling.
- Maintain liaison with Operations departments and guide the investigation, analysis and solution of problems and prime importance to the unit goals and objectives in all phases of manufacturing process. Analyze and resolve complex problems in the fabrication and procurement of hardware and tooling.
- Develop a wide variety of reports and analyses of costs, schedules, design changes, and manufacturing methods, processes and tooling.
- Maintain liaison with Product Engineering and/or the customer to influence design decisions and tradeoffs to foster maximum producibility.
- Direct the activities of all manufacturing supervisors assigned, technicians and collective bargaining unit personnel. Ensure performance criteria for individuals is established and understood.
- Lead and champion the Lean Manufacturing initiatives of the business unit.
- Ensure appropriate communications and interaction throughout the organization in order that technical issues are addressed in a timely and complete manner.
- Develop, maintain and implement tooling Quality Procedures and Policies that ensure compliance with customer and regulatory requirements.
- Lead and champion the Quality Improvement initiatives of the business unit.
- Ensure GKN property management system is appropriately documented and compliant to the FAR/DFAR and customer requirements and that all direct reports understand and follow the procedures and processes related to their areas of responsibility.
- Champion annual physical tool inventories.
- Ensure appropriate resources are assigned to support all customer and third party audits of property accountability.
- Cooperate in the establishment of organizational arrangements, human resource policies and management development plans that will create a high quality product team and ensure harmonious workplace relations to enable the Site to meet its current and future objectives.
- Comply with government regulations and the company’s Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action policies.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback regarding performance to employees.
- Maintain a safe workplace.
- Pursue personal development of skills and knowledge necessary for effective performance.
- Perform other duties, tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, industrial or manufacturing engineering or equivalent directly applicable tooling & tooling engineering experience.
- 7 years of experience in manufacturing environment, with an emphasis in tooling applications
- U.S. Person per ITAR regulations to comply with export compliance and site SSA requirements
- MBA or Bachelor’s degree in business administration
- Experience with Government Property Accountability (FAR Part 45).
- Excellent written, verbal and collaboration skills
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience preferred