Field(s) of expertise
Marketing and Sales
About this job
GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 50 manufacturing locations in 15 countries, we serve over 90% of the world’s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world’s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the opportunity
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you travel by air almost anywhere in the world, it is likely that GKN is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to be better in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do.
In conjunction with GKN’s strategic objective to significantly grow the defense businesses the role is to lead, The Director of Business Development initiates and captures strategic (defense) campaigns in designated regions of the U.S. where GKN has a presence or wishes to have a presence. Their objective is to position GKN in an early stage towards MoD’s and other specific country stakeholders, and OEMs for (large) defense programs with multi technologies in order to create concrete business opportunities. They will be accountable for positioning GKN with multi technologies and understanding the competitive position of the business, the identification of market opportunities and challenges that could influence the business and profitability leading up to a concrete opportunity (e.g. RFP). They will also internally lead the launch of high priority strategic initiatives in this area, working directly with the business’s leadership and stakeholders working directly with the VP Country & Campaigns and stakeholders.
- Partners with directors to develop vision, mission and strategy for the defense strategic campaigns.
- Leads the analysis for specific regions, customers, competitors and /or markets to identify new multi technology opportunities for defense strategic campaigns.
- Initiate and develop defense strategic campaigns leading up to a RFP in specified regions and assume lead role in proposal response and completion of RFQ’s and RFI’s for new business.
- Within their given specific areas, influence and lobby towards all relevant stakeholders (countries and OEMs) for developing defense strategic campaigns.
- Collaborates with the relevant stakeholders on the formulation, capture and development of defense strategic business development initiatives and priorities.
- Responsible for the oversight of all new business evaluation and capture activities.
- Identify, define and implement strategic objectives and associated courses of action in response to changes and opportunities in the greater aerospace industry.
- 10+ years of applicable experience in business development, including experience in an OEM or military setting, as well as significant professional growth and an established network in defense and/or aerospace required.
- Ability to travel 50% or more required.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Science or Business or closely-related area preferred.
- Business Development Management experience preferred.
- Aerospace or aviation industry-related sales, customer service, commercial, or programs experience preferred.
- Extensive ability to manage and direct business development programs with directly related experience in aerospace engine sales, marketing and business development on a global basis experience managing large clients in the aerospace industry.
- Broad-based technical and business knowledge of the aerospace industry, including experience working with aerospace MROs, OEMs and/or operating customers.
- A demonstrated ability to enhance margins and work in partnership with the customer to address their needs. Ability to be a leader in change management, demonstrate strong aptitude to proactively identify problems and propose effective solutions.
- Demonstrated leadership and the proven ability to develop and maintain productive customer relationships within the global.
- A proven ability to run a customer focused organization with a history in both developing and negotiating agreements/working with proposals and contracts.
- Ability to operate and influence at all levels both internally and externally.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to anticipate future trends based on market intelligence.
- Ability to challenge mindsets.