Field(s) of expertise
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 55 manufacturing locations in 14 countries, we serve over 90% of the world’s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world’s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the opportunity
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you travel by air almost anywhere in the world, it is likely that GKN is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to be better in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do.
Under minimum supervision, determines, through on-the-job experience and academic preparation, the optimal manufacturing methods and processes for producing company products. Generally will see a product through to satisfactory production, coordinating the manufacturing processes involved to meet customer, government and company requirements.
- Analyzes engineering design documents to establish manufacturing methods and processes to manufacture a component, including creating conceptual sketches and initiating the design and building of required tooling within established budgets and submits for appropriate approvals.
- Prepares a bill of material for procurement of raw material, rivets, bolts, etc., and describes outside vendor services needed for the manufacture of a component (heat treat, anodizing, painting, etc.).
- Approves outside vendor manufacturing plans and reviews progress to plan.
- Provides program management for individual parts, develops and maintains all production plans including sequencing of events for efficient, cost-effective manufacturing and coordinates all phases of manufacture, including process planning, tooling, and components manufacture assuring compliance to customer and company requirements.
- Maintains accurate files on parts.
- Continually evaluates alternative manufacturing methods/processes for cost reductions, improved products, competitive manufacturing advantage and capacity limitations. • Prepares changes to meet revised customer requirements.
- Reviews progress with the customer, including design errors, proposed part rework and manufacturing problems. Analyzes discrepant parts, dispositions nonconforming material reports, and prepares rework/repair procedures and customer submittal documents, as required.
- Instructs production workers and shop supervisors in proper use of tools and implementation of planned methods and processes, and provides technical support as problems occur, analyzing and researching solutions and implementing corrective action, as needed.
- Estimates engineering time and tooling cost for customer design changes and submits estimates to Estimating Department. Assists Estimating Department in estimating future orders.
- Maintains a clean work environment (including assigned storage and cleaning duties) in full compliance with company standards, customer and government regulations.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of a business culture, which supports the Company’s overall business objectives and goals, in issues that involve “cost, quality, process, schedule and people”.
- A Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate discipline is preferred. In lieu of a degree, 10+ years of equivalent work experience and/or education is required.
- Requires minimum of 8+ years of directly related technical experience in an engineering discipline, preferably in manufacturing aerospace environment.
- U.S. Person per ITAR regulations to comply with export compliance and site SSA requirements.
- MRO experience preferred.
- Experience in Metal Fabrication: Peening, Thermal Spray, EB Welding, Deburring, Machining.
- Ability to use engineering test equipment, CAD, and/or various computer systems.
- Must have an understanding of fabrication, assembly and shop math, including algebra, trigonometry and special relations.
- Expected to be familiar with material processes and the use of and design of tools, fixtures & gauges. Prefer some working knowledge of computerized systems.
- The ability to work as a team player as well as independently is required.