Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Working under limited supervision, develops part programs used by Computerized Numerical Control (CNC) machining tools to manufacture precision components to meet blueprint, operations sheet and customer specifications.
- Develops/revises/proofs programs for complex math-modeled and computer-generated parts surfacing programs to ensure products meet specifications.
- Analyzes engineering drawings, operations sheets, blueprints, process requirements and parts complexity to determine the feasibility of performing the required functions for each part program. Factors to be considered include configuration, tolerances, material specifications, surface finish requirements, material requirements, cutting tool requirements, heat treat requirements, machine tool capacities/capabilities and local fixturing required to manufacture the product.
- Defines part geometry from various sources utilizing CAD or Automated program Tools to manufacture components on NC machine tools.
- Develops manufacturing package which includes tool order, tool set-up sheets, cutting tool descriptions, NC operations sheets, operator instructions and program manuscript.
- Maintains all software/document data to efficiently update numerical control part programs to reflect engineering changes. Controls such information to protect and maintain traceability per customer software instructions. Updates/maintains NC directory files.
- Guides/mentors/advises machine operators to ensure understanding of program function and obtain feedback on program performance. Mentors lower level programmers to ensure high level of support for manufacturing and engineering functions.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of a business culture, which supports the Company’s overall business objectives and goals, to include issues that involve “cost, quality, process, schedule and people”.
- Ensure the company’s commitment to maintain a safe workplace and to protect the environment through the establishment and support of Company policy and adherence to various government regulations.
- Fully comply with the “GKN Aerospace, Inc. Policy Statement on Contracting with the United States Government” in all areas of responsibility involving direct and indirect contracting with the United States Government.
- Performs other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience. Specialized programming certification preferred.
- Minimum 5 year experience in numerical control parts programming and math modelling experience with an emphasis on 5-axis complex surfaces parts machine programming.
- Must possess an extensive machining background to be able to read/interpret blueprint, drawing and ANSI Y14.5 specifications.
- Must possess a practical knowledge of engineering techniques and the properties/limitations on machinery, fixturing and materials.
- Must have excellent basic math, trigonometry and geometry skills.
- Must have good understand of cutting tool techniques and manufacturing methods and processes.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate successfully with a range of customers.
Physical and Mental Demands
- Able to work “on-call”.
- Able to operate under tight deadlines.
- Able to maintain professional demeanor.
- Able to participate in the communications of technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Good vision with correction.
- Ability to multi-task with good attention to detail.
- Ability to travel internally within the facility site.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend English instructions.