Field(s) of expertise
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 50 manufacturing locations in 15 countries, we serve over 90% of the world’s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world’s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the opportunity
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you travel by air almost anywhere in the world, it is likely that GKN is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to be better in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do.
The Chief Manufacturing Engineer (CME) role is the technical leader for Manufacturing Engineering (ME) and is responsible for the manufacturing definition and ME related activities within the program/value stream through its lifecycle within Manchester, CT facility (MCR). The CME leads the Integrated Product Team (IPT) for the assigned program/value stream and acts as the primary representative for ME at program/technical reviews, internally & externally (with customer & suppliers). Will ensure the manufacturing system meets stakeholder requirements including; technical compliance; adherence to ME processes and standards and compliance business case (including quality; delivery and cost).
- Delivery of a manufacturing system that fulfils all stakeholder requirements including:
- Quality, Health & Safety, design, productivity, business case, etc.
- Accountable for the ME metrics including:
- Product safety,
- Quality (including right first time measures),
- Delivery (completion of the ME related activities in line with the agreed schedule),
- Cost (Non-Recurring Cost (NRC) & Recurring Costs (RC)) as agreed upon in business case
- Product development including:
- New Product Introductions (NPI)
- Responsible for NPI through business learn out
- Ensure targets are met during entire lifecycle
- Selection of capable manufacturing processes
- Validating the capability of the process and/or equipment
- Including that all process / test requirements, relating to the manufacturing system, are suitably addressed
- Introduction of new technology in line with the Program/Value Stream requirements
- Supporting the Make v Buy & subsequent supplier selection process
- Responsible for quoting of business case estimates
- Ensure adherence to all applicable Quality processes and procedures including:
- All regulatory laws and guidelines are complied with:
- Customer requirements (where mandated)
- Export Control and ITAR requirements
- Leadership of the IPT including:
- Allocation of task in line with the agreed schedule / budget
- Ensuring that all ME related reviews (internal & external) are completed to schedule and that the inputs/outputs are managed to the defined process
- Inclusive of capturing / auctioning Risk and Lessons Learnt
- Ensuring the successful transition of a program from one lifecycle gate to the next
- Acting as the ME expert with:
- The Program Management/Value Stream leaders
- Other internal disciplines
- The customer
- The nominated supply chain
- Support the Design Chief Engineers on their technical reviews (internal & external) as required
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Manufacturing / Mechanical Engineering / related field, or in lieu of degree 13+ years’ experience in related engineering field.
- 10+ years’ experience in related engineering field.
- 7+ Knowledge of NC programming and machining methods.
- 5+ years advanced knowledge of manufacturing operations & strategies.
- 5+ Acting as the ME technical lead / authority on aerospace programs.
- U.S. Person per ITAR regulations to comply with export compliance and site SSA requirements.
- Experience with Vericut preferred.
- Experience with NX preferred.
- Capable of interfacing professionally with customers and suppliers.
- Experience developing cost models for customer bids preferred.
- Able to demonstrate the ability to work, and deliver, under own initiative.
- Good Technical English language and networking skills.
- Able to travel internationally as required.
- ME leadership roles within an Aerospace environment including:
- Resource management
- Budget control
- Management of the ME related schedule
- Periodic reporting