Field(s) of expertise
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Aerospace Engineering
About this job
GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 50 manufacturing locations in 15 countries, we serve over 90% of the world’s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world’s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the opportunity
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you travel by air almost anywhere in the world, it is likely that GKN is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to be better in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do.
To lead and approve stress analysis in support of Engineering project requirements for wing, fuselage, empennage and Nacelle related civil & military aerospace products and their components and in support of the development of existing and new products/structures.
As the successful candidate, you will be expected to liaise with the Stress and Design Teams to deliver certification analysis reports and workfiles to the required standard according to the Programme and Chief Engineers milestones.
- Ensuring structural integrity aspects of the Components/Sub-modules.
- Carrying out Stress analysis calculations and/or check/approve to assess design solutions for a whole range of tasks, potentially from concept and structural development to certification, including modifications.
- Supporting the structural design process to ensure required quality is achieved within direct area of responsibility.
- Resolving technical issues independently. Reporting and escalating critical technical issues to the Chief Engineer and/or Technical Authority.
- Supporting continuous improvement initiatives to increase team efficiency.
- Interfacing with adjacent work packages or sub-assemblies.
- Mentoring engineers in his/her area of expertise.
- BE or above in Mechanical, Aerospace, Aeronautical Engineering or relevant subject.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience.
- Knowledge and experience in the design, development and qualification of airframes and vehicle systems, including expertise in one or more of:
- In-depth knowledge of airframe static stress analysis techniques including hand calculation methods (including the use of MathCAD), finite element techniques (especially Nastran and Patran), derivation of material and component allowable (including the use of statistical techniques).
- In-depth knowledge of airframe fatigue substantiation including safe life and fracture mechanics techniques.
- Strong knowledge of the overall static structural substantiation process from definition of external loads through airframe finite element analysis to final check stress clearance;
- Strong knowledge of the overall fatigue substantiation process from the derivation of component mean and working strengths, flight data gathering of fatigue loads, through fatigue life calculation methods to in-service aircraft monitoring;
- Strong knowledge of the relevant airworthiness requirements related to airframes.
- Knowledge of PLM tools such as WINDCHILL is desirable.
- Structural testing methods and results interpretation.
- Skilled in tools such as CATIA V5, Hyperworks, NASTRAN, PATRAN, MATHCAD, EXCEL, AWK, PYTHON etc.