Field(s) of expertise
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
GKN Aerospace is the world’s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 50 manufacturing locations in 15 countries, we serve over 90% of the world’s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world’s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
About the opportunity
GKN Aerospace is a global engineering business. Every time you travel by air almost anywhere in the world, it is likely that GKN is helping you on your way. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for original equipment manufacturers around the world. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to be better in everything we do.
We are looking for people who want to make a difference, talented members with the skills and passions to become the best of the future in what they do.
Under routine supervision, determines, from simple to complex, generally customer-specific programs, the optimal manufacturing methods and processes for producing company products. Generally follows a product through to satisfactory production, coordinating the manufacturing processes involved to meet customer, government and company requirements.
- Analyzes engineering design documents to establish manufacturing methods and processes to manufacture a component including creating conceptual sketches and initiating the design and building of required tooling within established budgets and submits for appropriate approvals.
- Prepares a bill of materials for procurement of raw material and describes outside vendor services needed for the manufacture of a component (heat treat, anodizing, painting, etc.). Approves outside vendor manufacturing plans and reviews.
- Provides program management for individual parts, develops/maintains all production plans including sequencing of events for efficient, cost effective manufacturing and coordinates all phases of manufacture, including process planning, tooling and components manufacture assuring compliance to customer and company requirements. Maintains accurate files on parts.
- Prepares changes to meet revised customer requirements. Reviews progress with the customer including design errors, proposed part rework and manufacturing problems.
- Analyzes discrepant parts, dispositions nonconforming material reports, and prepares rework/repair procedures and customer submittal documents as required.
- Instructs production worker/shop supervisors in proper use of tools and implementation of planned methods and processes and provides technical support as problems occur, analyzing and research solutions and implementing corrective action as needed.
- Estimates engineering time/tooling cost for customer design changes and submits estimates to Estimating Department. Assists Estimating Department in estimating future orders.
- Fully complies with the “GKN Aerospace, Inc. Policy Statement on Contracting with the United States Government” in all areas of responsibility involving direct and indirect contracting with the United States Government. Ensure subordinate staff is aware of the policy and their individual responsibility and accountability for complying with it.
- Performs other duties, tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in manufacturing engineering or mechanical engineering or in lieu of degree, 5+ years’ combination of education and experience required.
- 1+ years of engineering experience in manufacturing engineering, preferably in manufacturing aerospace environment.
- 1+ years of understanding of fabrication, assembly and shop math, including algebra, trigonometry and/or special relations.
- 1+ years of designing material processes and the use of and design of tools, fixtures and gauges.
- Some working knowledge of computerized systems preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings and specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to apply SPC concepts.
- Ability to read, interpret, sign off on tooling drawings as they relate to QA requirements.
- Ability to use engineering test equipment, CAD, and/or various computer systems.
- Must display good interpersonal, organizational, and verbal/written skills.