Field(s) of expertise
Software Engineering Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
At Boeing, we are all innovators on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire. From the seabed to outer space, you’ll learn and grow, contributing to work that shapes the world. Find your future with us.
The Boeing Commercial Airplanes (BCA) organization is seeking an Industrial Engineer to join the team located in Sheffield. This position will be working closely with the Industrial Engineer, Supply Chain, Operations and Leadership teams throughout the entire manufacturing process cycle. Upon other responsibilities, the role will focus on Engineered Lean Solutions, looking for the most optimized product flow and utilization of resources in line with the One Boeing Production System.
The ideal candidate will utilize industrial engineering concepts, lean and problem solving techniques to partner with cross functional teams aiming to achieve organizational business goals and objectives. Capable of instructing others in continuous improvement tools and principles. Assists the team in formatting updated training materials. Leads and facilitates (Lean tool certified) process improvement efforts. Supports advanced continuous improvement tool application. Participates in strategy development. Conducts Beta tests on new tools.
The ideal candidate must be able to interact and communicate with all levels of personnel to gather information and data, and taking the lead in establishing the best planned part flow to meet customer demand.
- Applies advanced Industrial Engineering concepts, techniques, analysis and decision tools to promote and implement changes in manufacturing, engineering and service operations.
- Independently develops models, data bases and spreadsheets to analyze data (e.g., statistics, operations research, engineering economics), and provides summary analysis and metrics for consultation to customers (e.g., management, departments, suppliers).
- Applies advanced industrial engineering techniques and concepts to product and process design teams throughout all phases of product lifecycle, resulting in a robust product design and work statement that meets program requirements.
- Researches, designs, develops, improves, and implements processes to enhance schedule performance, lower cost, and improve quality, through the application of advanced Lean and other Industrial Engineering concepts for large scale systems integration and asset utilization.
- Independently manages, defines, negotiates, and controls the scope, cost, and timing of projects, and performs risk analysis using project management tools (e.g., work break-down structure, precedence network, resource allocation).
- Ensures project is completed within budget.
- Utilizes advanced engineering methods (e.g., mathematical models, simulation, statistics) to develop optimal process designs and efficient utilization of resources (e.g., facilities, personnel, materials, equipment) in the creation and validation of products.
- Analyzes and designs value stream, including capability, capacity (e.g., make/buy, supplier selection, risk analysis, supplier performance), throughput, work flow and logistics (e.g., critical path, lead-time, transportation, factory layout).
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills & Experience):
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited course of study, in engineering, computer science, mathematics or physics.
- Experience working with standard Industrial Engineering practices such as Lean, VSM, PDCA, Kanban, Kaizen, process and efficiency improvement, capacity and capability analysis.
- Experience as Industrial Engineer.
- Proficiency with the following software and database technologies is required: Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, Power Point and Project.
- Project Management Experience.
- Experience applying and implementing lean manufacturing principles in a production system, such as the Toyota Production System TPS.
- Work experience in a factory setting, preferable aerospace or automobile industries.
- Experience with manufacturing operations and manufacturing planning.
- Experience working with Lean Manufacturing, Capacity Planning, Production/Mfg. System Design.
- Experience with Planning/Constraint Based Scheduling, Facilities Layout Design, and Inventory Control.
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Six Sigma lean certification.
- Experience working with SAP and its Scheduling and Capacity Planning modules.
- Basic machining CNC concepts.
- Experience in flow & Production Preparation Process (3P).
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering, computer science, mathematics physics or chemistry (e.g. Bachelor).