Field(s) of expertise
Marketing and Sales
About this job
Boeing is the world’s largest aerospace company and leading manufacturer of commercial airplanes and Defence, space and security systems. At Boeing we’re all innovators and dreamers on a mission to connect, protect, explore and inspire from the seabed to outer space. With Boeing you’ll learn and grow, contributing to building something better for our customers, for yourself and shaping the world. Find your future with us.
Here in the UK, Boeing Defence UK (BDUK) is a rapidly growing, primarily defence-focused company established in 2008 to cement & develop on-shore capabilities, support the sale of the wide Boeing portfolio of platforms and services, generate intellectual property and partner with selected UK industry to provide the very best customer support, responsiveness and value for money.
We are seeking to appoint a Head of Sales & Marketing, a Senior Manager role based in Bristol. You will lead a dynamic and diverse team of business development and capture professionals to identify, assess, shape and win sales of our products and services in the UK. You will need a deep knowledge of how UK Defence works, a thorough understanding of the UK Defence acquisition process and the ability to develop and maintain a robust network of strong customer & internal relationships. In addition, you’ll be responsible for the oversight of all sales campaigns and should have a demonstrable history of sales success and good working knowledge of a recognised bid management process (e.g. Shipley), able to drive functional and organizational excellence in support of the company’s sales objectives in the UK. The role will report to the Director of International Sales UK to identify, assess, prioritise, shape and win new business to grow Boeing in the UK in line with the endorsed Long Range Business Plan.
You will benefit from an industry leading remuneration package, with the chance to progress and meet your career goals.
- Achieve and/or exceed annual targets.
- Build strategic relationships with customers and internally across Boeing.
- Build a detailed understanding of future Defence requirements, budgets, planning.
- Understand the UK defence acquisition process.
- Leverage resources and knowledge of Boeing’s products, services, processes and operations to gain competitive advantages and create growth.
- Leverage incumbent programmes to maximise organic growth, working with the programme delivery teams.
- Assess and shape new business opportunities to develop a robust pipeline out to ten years to underpin the Long Range Business Plan (LRBP).
- Support the Sales Director setting sales and resources priorities and manage BDUK investment in new business (Market Assist, Bid and Proposal and technology development).
- Nurture, develop and maintain trusted, positive and collaborative customer relationships.
- Support the Sales Director shape market sector strategies based on in-depth knowledge of customer business, culture, geopolitical environment and requirements to identify and influence emerging customer requirements then execute to deliver growth.
- Lead and manage the Sales Team as they identify and qualify new prospects in line with the business strategy to develop a robust pipeline, technology road maps, stakeholder maps and customer engagement plans.
- Lead the approval process by advocating the customer requirements and selling the business case.
- Support the Sales Director provide oversight to all customer engagement.
- Provide management oversight and control of a Customer Relationship Management tool.
- Lead and manage the Capture Team Leads to run effective, efficient capture campaigns, delivering win rates beyond the market average.
- Work with the Sales & Marketing Operations Manager to plan resource requirements and manage costs.
- Drive Global Sales and Marketing functional excellence in country, including performance and organizational effectiveness of the team, leveraging lessons learned, wider Boeing enterprise and industry best practice and continuous improvement to maximize outcomes and results.
- Work with Supply Chain, business analysts and strategy to understand market sector competitors or potential collaborators to develop prospects and opportunities and increase win rates.
- Work with the Sales Director, Head of Strategy and Sales Leads to develop the growth strategy and identify potential UK and international strategic partnership prospects to support UK growth and align with wider Boeing international objectives.
- Work across BDUK functions and with Boeing International, Operational Analysts, the Portal and other sales partners/subsidiaries to leverage ‘One Boeing’ and enhance growth prospects.
- Leverage Boeing capabilities and work with core functions across the business to qualify future pipeline opportunities.
- Support the wider Boeing enterprise to share best practice, lessons learned, business models and intellectual property to enhance International sales beyond UK.
- Continue to engage with the customer and Business Units following a sale, to support mobilisation and delivery, ensuring customer satisfaction and to develop further, related opportunities.
- Provide clear, concise and value-added management reports in support of executive meeting planning / briefing.
- Deliver regular and effective new business and pipeline reviews to the Sales Director and BDUK Leadership Team.
- Provide leadership and oversight across all levels of business acquisition as appropriate.
- Exceptional ability to represent the views of the Company in an articulate, positive and firm manner.
- Robust understanding of financial and commercial issues and strong business acumen to develop prospects, negotiate and close out deal.
- Experience serving the Defence sector at a senior level.
- A good working knowledge of business functions e.g. commercial & finance.
- Strong leadership skills encompassing proven ability to retain, build and inspire a high performing, bright and creative team towards optimum performance through coaching and mentoring – leading with courage and passion.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability and experience in working with managers from a variety of business cultures and disciplines in order to ensure the achievement of common goals.
- Demonstrated strategic and lateral thinking and analytical skills.
- Exposure to, or knowledge of ITAR and export regulations would be an advantage.
- A holder of, or ability to obtain UK Security clearance is essential.
- Proven customer relationship building skills and the ability to influence solutions and outcomes.
- A detailed knowledge of the UK defence acquisition process.
- A comprehensive knowledge of a known business capture process (e.g. Shipley).
- Experience in a sales role with demonstrable sales success.
- A proven leadership background with experience leading and developing teams and delivering results in a complex matrix environment.
- Must be able to brief confidently in an unfamiliar customer environment.
- A holder of, or ability to obtain, UK Security clearance is essential.
- Previous use of a Customer Relationship Management tool (e.g. Microsoft Dynamics or SalesForce).
- Bachelors degree preferred