Field(s) of expertise
About this job
Roke is a world-class technology and engineering consultancy. Roke delivers advanced research, development services and products to high profile customers who come to Roke with varied and challenging problems to solve.
We are now looking for an advanced level apprentice to join the IT security team to support the business. You will have an exciting and busy role with opportunities for progression within the team and the business as a whole. Your duties will be varied, as you join us in working to support our engineering teams as they deliver ground breaking projects within the fields of autonomy, connectivity, data analytics and cyber.
This challenging roles combine practical on the job training alongside studying towards a Cyber Security Technologist apprenticeship with Firebrand.
Your working week will be varied but typical roles and responsibilities will include:
- 1st line support – answering and triaging helpdesk calls, resolving some immediately and escalating others as appropriate.
- Installing operating systems on new, or rebuilt machines following the IT process in a structured way.
- Delivering machines to users, liaising to ensure customer satisfaction
- Troubleshooting reported issues and resolving or escalating.
- Assisting 2nd and 3rd line support with projects and ad-hoc tasks as required.
- Applying training to suggest improvements in processes and capability
As you develop throughout your time here you will also get a chance to:
- Monitor security data (dashboards, logs, alerts) and respond to anything that needs to be actioned.
- Create, update and track incidents through to resolution and closure. Liaise with senior team members where required.
- Take a lead on some incidents, collect evidence, understand the issue and resolve or propose a resolution where suitable.
- Review and update processes and procedures relating to security on site.
- Produce security reports showing metrics over time for continuous monitoring. For anything that falls outside of trend, aim to understand why and consider options for a solution if required
- Take on ad-hoc projects such as collecting and processing new log sources in to the SIEM platform, review and test DR capabilities, identify and propose any new tooling which may increase the effectiveness of the security team, vulnerability scanning, etc.
- Work with other teams within the business to provide a security perspective on project work.
- Monitor threat intelligence data to keep updated with any new attack vectors or vulnerabilities that may be relevant to Roke
Skills, Knowledge & Attitudes:
- Minimum 5 GCSE’s at grades A*- C or (4 – 9) including maths and English
- A levels/NVQ equivalent in IT or STEM subjects
- An understanding of IP networks, how IP addressing works and the components that make up a network – firewall, router, switch etc.
- It is desirable to be familiar with all current variants of Windows (server and desktop) and also Linux.
- An understanding of security tooling and where it fits in to the network – IPS/IDS, endpoint protection, SIEM, etc.
- An analytical and inquisitive mind-set
- A desire to learn and develop while also looking to make efficiencies in the team.
Due to the nature of this position, candidates must be willing and eligible to achieve HMG SC and DV clearance. As a result, candidates should ideally be a British Citizen however you can hold another nationality and have resided in the UK for the last 5 years.