Field(s) of expertise
Project and Service Management
About this job
General Dynamics Land Systems is a global leader in providing products and support across the full spectrum of combat vehicles. Our global team has more than 6,000 employees working towards creating a diverse product portfolio delivering best-in-class capability to Armed Forces communities worldwide. In the UK, we employee more than 650 people and are leading the way in Armoured Fighting Vehicles and sustainment services. Our vision is documented and embedded into our culture, so all employees understand the Company’s direction and their role in achieving it. We are currently delivering the AJAX programme, providing 589 Armoured Fighting Vehicles in six variants to the British Army and have also developed and delivered 400 Foxhound vehicles – a highly-protected and mobile 4×4 platform with high-deployment availability.
Purpose of Position
- The Programme Manager is responsible for the successful delivery and co-ordination of the programme’s projects assigned to them and management of their inter-dependencies, stakeholders and customers.
- The Programme Manager is responsible for delivering critical aspects of the contract. The role requires effective lead one or more projects and manage their inter-dependencies including oversight of any risks and issues arising. It also includes the co-ordination of necessary change and realisation of projected benefits across all impacted or impacting Defence Lines of Development (DLODs).
- The role is crucial for creating and maintaining focus, effectiveness, consistency and momentum. The Programme Manager is responsible for the overall integrity and coherence of the programme. They will develop and maintain the programme environment to support each individual project within it and ensure effective integration between dependant broader business functional departments, projects or interdependent programmes.
- Planning and designing the programme and proactively controlling progress
- Lead one or more project managers
- Managing the programme’s budget on behalf of the Executive Director.
- Ensuring the delivery of products or services quality, timeliness and cost-effectiveness in accordance with the programme plan, programme governance arrangements and contract.
- Resolving issues by initiating appropriate corrective action.
- Ensuring company governance and policies adherence.
- Ensuring potential change is accurately reviewed and assessed for impact.
- Ensure necessary change is fully communicated to all appropriate stakeholders and proactively management through to product or service delivery to minimise impact to Performance, Cost, Time and Risk (PCTR).Facilitating the appointment and effective integration of individuals to project teams.
- Managing communications with all stakeholders.
- Managing both the dependencies and the interfaces between projects.
- Managing risks and developing opportunities to ensure the programme’s successful outcome.
- Reporting the progress at regular intervals to the delegated director on behalf other senior external or internal stakeholders.
- Proven experience of delivering successful, complex development and delivery projects and/or programmes.
- Effective leadership, interpersonal and communication skills.
- The ability to command respect and to create a sense of community amongst the team members.
- Proven and demonstrable knowledge of techniques for planning and controlling programmes.
- Proven and demonstrable experience of managing and working within high intensity and significant design, development and delivery programmes.
- Demonstrable, strong financial and commercial acumen.
- Good understanding of capability delivery, following models such as the UK MoD Defence Lines Of Development (DLOD).
- Good understanding of the procurement process including negotiations.
- Expert knowledge of project management methods including APM BoK, MSP and PRINCE2.
- Good knowledge of Earned Value Management (EVM), budgeting and resource allocation procedures.
- The ability to find ways of solving issues.
- The ability to identify and mitigate risks.
- May require degree level education, and staff and/or technical project/process management experience, or equivalent.