Field(s) of expertise
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
General Dynamics Land Systems is a global leader in providing products and support across the full spectrum of combat vehicles. Our global team has more than 6,000 employees working towards creating a diverse product portfolio delivering best-in-class capability to Armed Forces communities worldwide. In the UK, we employee more than 650 people and are leading the way in Armoured Fighting Vehicles and sustainment services. Our vision is documented and embedded into our culture, so all employees understand the Company’s direction and their role in achieving it. We are currently delivering the AJAX programme, providing 589 Armoured Fighting Vehicles in six variants to the British Army and have also developed and delivered 400 Foxhound vehicles – a highly-protected and mobile 4×4 platform with high-deployment availability.
Purpose of Position
A Vehicle Mechanic FSE is a highly adaptable, Senior Vehicle Engineer who can work independently or with other Engineers to provide diverse vehicle maintenance and specialist advice to MOD and GDLS-UK personnel. The VM FSE will be expected to manage a small team of Technicians and will be based at the GDLS-UK Facility in Bovington. Whilst contracted to a 37.5hrs working week a FSE is expected to work some extended paid hours and weekends if the programme requires it.
- Technical focal point for all vehicle related matters including modifications, Post Design Services (PDS), technical training and defect reporting.
- Assess battle damage, warranty faults and recommend rectification procedures.
- Provision of training to new team members and oversee/advise/mentor MOD AJAX crew personnel.
- Work with design/project engineers to develop optimised engineered solutions. Provide field feedback on technical issues and support System and Software Engineers in designing technical resolution.
- Carrying out all levels of repairs on AJAX Variants (up to Level 4) and also upgrades / modifications, as per Design changes.
- Perform business support administration (timesheets, procurement of equipment, stocktaking, collect and report data) using provided IT.
- Document, maintain and improve Work Instructions (including strip down, non-destructive testing, etc.).
- Working outside of a 9 to 5 routine (this could involve weekends).
- Management of small team of Technicians.
- Demonstrable knowledge of automotive systems and how they work together, including CANbus systems, hydraulic and electrical systems
- Highly customer focused with good communication skills
- IT literate with working knowledge of MS Office and automotive diagnostic systems
- Ability to share knowledge within the team
- Ability to achieve SC Clearance level
- A number of years experience in Field Service Engineering or related discipline
- Military VM1 / NVQ and/or City & Guilds Level 3
- Full UK Driving license including Category H, legally allowed to drive in the UK
- In depth Armoured Fighting Vehicle experience
- Certified Driver/Maintainer for at least one SV (AJAX) vehicle type
- Member of a Professional Institution (e.g. IET, IMechE) with professional recognition
Due to the security sensitivity aspect of the role, this job is only opened to British nationals, who can achieve SC clearance level.