Field(s) of expertise
Electronics Engineering Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering
About this job
We are a global professional services and technology partner with a unique end-toend approach in defence, energy and space programmes. Because of our forward-thinking teams, mission-critical equipment operates effectively in the world’s most challenging environments. Whether sharing innovative solutions or manufacturing bespoke engineering systems, absolute trust is core to all we do.
The Wiring Technician will be responsible for building/wiring control panels, cabinets and sub-assemblies from panel diagrams and schematics. Undertake production duties appropriate to individual skills and experience. They will need to ensure that completed units meet specifications, tolerances and customer order requirements. This involves wiring, soldering, crimping, working with wire harnesses and lacing to naval standards.
Responsibilities will include:
- Detailed building, fitting, assembly and wiring of control panels working from engineering drawings and schematics to determine assembly procedures
- Cut, ident, lace, loom and prepare electrical / electronic wiring and cabling according to specification
- Install wire and cable bringing elements together to form a fully functional system
- Fabricate and test cable and / or mechanical assemblies
- Maintain the department stock level of cabling
- Ensure tasks are conducted within the company and legislative health and safety requirements
- Operating of special purpose tools and equipment for the installation of electrical control panels to a naval standard
- Marine/shipbuilding/ship repair background
- Strong understanding of MOD naval standards
- Must be able to work efficiently as part of a team and to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Extensive wiring experience related to panel assembly/control cabinets
- Understand basic electrical theory
- Quality conscious
- Ability to read and understand electrical schematics, wiring diagrams and wiring schedules
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Enthusiastic and motivated attitude
Preferred but not essential:
- Dockyard apprenticeship/defence industry experience
- SC cleared
- Excellent attention to detail
- Candidates must have an existing right to live and work in the UK.
- Candidates will need to undergo an internal BPSS check prior to gaining site access.
- Candidates will also need to either hold a current SC clearance or be willing and eligible to undergo a Security Clearance check (SC level) upon starting their employment with the company.
- To gain SC clearance you will normally need at least 5 years’ UK residency.